Starting a Discussion Group... tips?

Scooter

I recently moved, and decided to check out the area pride center. Before I left, I somehow volunteered myself to help start & moderate an ace/aro group, as there isn't one there currently. The program manager I spoke with seemed pretty enthusiastic about it, and I left with a short stack of paperwork relating to the center and their rules pertaining to groups.

I've never actually done anything like this before, so I'd appreciate anyone who'd like to toss input and suggestions in my direction.

There is an active ace meetup group in the area already, but only one that I'm currently aware of. I've got nothing against them, and unfortunately I haven't actually had the chance to go to one of their gatherings (schedule just never lines up). But I do know that they usually involve going to different places almost every time, most of which involve (or imply) spending money. I don't have a lot of spare cash at the moment, and I doubt I'm the only one that likes to be able to have a stable time/place to schedule things around. I figure starting a group at the pride center could appeal to others with a similar scenario, and I'm sure there's also folks out there who'd enjoy both types of groups.

So far, the only solid idea I think I have is a mini project to make sure the center's library has some relevant books available. Yes, I realize that'll likely end up costing some money, but it's just the first thing that came to mind. This whole thing only came about a few days ago, so I honestly haven't had a lot of time to think about it yet. I'll take discussion topics and any other kind of group ideas that you can come up with. Even if it isn't something that ends up happening, you never know what can be good inspiration for something else (heck, even group name ideas, with or without acronyms).

I think it is very cool that you're doing this!

For discussion topics, you could talk about how ace/aro people fit in to LGBTQ groups. I know it can be a controversial topic on AVEN, but I think it is important to talk about. Plus, face-to-face discussions seem to be more productive than ones online.

You can talk about ways to own and be proud of your ace/aro-ness.

I had a lot of fun going to an ace meetup in my area one time where we talked about how we figured out we were ace, how people around us have reacted, etc. It can be nice to just share stories sometimes.

You could do some projects making pride gear. It can be fun to make things with the ace flag, or other flags on it. If people are comfortable wearing that kind of thing in public, it can help spark up conversations that spread ace/aro visibility.

You can keep an eye out for pride or other relevant events in your area, and your group could make plans to have an info booth there, or even to meet up there sporting ace colors.

Try to come up with conversation starters and questions to keep things moving. Leave room for introductions, though try to keep things informal and fun. Group projects are great and if you have enough people willing, maybe you can organize a fund raiser for the library books (yard sale or bake sale or a combo of the two). That may come later, after you've got an established group.

Archived