What's going on in Germany -- Merkel in trouble?

Sally

Interesting. I may be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that the FDP and the CDU both came from the same pre war party the DVP. I guess no one is really to blame, I just hope they can fix this.

Agreed, hope they can get a coalition soon! :D

Just for historic context: Since effectively all non-nazi parties got dissolved (or rather became insignificant) ~1933, it's hard to tell where modern parties stem from.

The statistics I've seen put the founding members of the CDU into the following pre-war parties, in descending order:

Central Party, DNVP, DVP, DDP

while the FDP was supposedly made up of members from just DVP and DDP (I think a large block of the former DVP members)

So yeah, there was certainly some overlap.

Then again, even if they were both pure DVP - I wouldn't use the historic roots of a party to associate it with its current politics. After all, in the US the Republicans also used to be the more liberal party compared to the Democrats (in all respects, not just economically) - look how that has changed since the Civil War! :D

CDU was smart as they broaden the traditional Zentrum of just being Catholic conservatives to unite Protestants, Catholics and democratic-Conservatives and national liberals to one party. Even before the rise of Nazism Adenauer wanted the Zentrum to do that, but they instead wanted to be a pure catholic party. That was in the long run worse for Germany as we saw in 1933-45.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the SPD has just committed the most spectacular political suicide in human history. I don't think they will ever recover from that. I also don't think it will be any good for CDU/CSU, at least on the long term. My guess is that after the next election it will be even more difficult to form a government, because these parties together won't have a majority any more.

On the other hand if Schultz refused a coalition would be he blamed for causing another election? I think an one election should have happened.

So there is now an open struggle within the SPD? Will be interesting to see what the party members vote for. 

Is it possible that now everyone is unhappy (except probably the CSU)? I’d prefer a minority government with changing majorities to get stuff done, but Merkel doesn’t want that :(

Archived