Returning after a long time away!

sachign

Hi AVEN community! I've been away for quite a few years - so long that the email I originally used to join is no longer active. So I'm brand new again! The only reason I've been gone for so long is that I'm so contentedly introverted that I often lose interest in online interaction. The reason I'm back is I recently read a book about LGBTQIA resilience - in fact, it was an advance review copy of "The Queer and Transgender Resilience Workbook" by Anneliese Singh, coming out early next year. Although asexuality is only given glancing treatment in the book, some of the content directed at other LGBTQ identities was applicable. In one section of the workbook, the reader is asked to assess their resilience tools - self-worth, confidence, supportive family and friends, etc. The only piece I really seemed to be missing was an extended community in which to participate! That's when I remembered AVEN and decided to come back. 

So, about me. I guess I always "knew" I was asexual, but I didn't have a word for it until about 6 years ago. I'm 32, asexual, probably aromantic, female, sort of gender-neutral, and happily single. I've been on two "dates" in my life and will be quite happy if there's never a third. I've never had sex, although I have a perfectly healthy libido, thanks very much. I can appreciate the "attractiveness"  or physical beauty of others just fine - male or female - but I have no desire to be physically intimate with others.

I also consider myself to be somewhat "asocial." I very rarely experience loneliness. My family and my job provide me with enough social interaction, and I prefer to spend my free time in solitary pursuits. I enjoy creative gardening, writing, reading, and video games. 

So that's me! Or at least the relevant part of me. I'm excited to re-join this community, and although I may not participate all that much, I hope I can give back at least a tiny portion of the support I receive from the learning, shared experiences, and conversations found here. 

Space-Ace-Android

Greetings!

:cake:Have some welcome back cake:cake:

Welcome back! You'll always be welcome here, no matter what :) 

alphabet_cake.jpg

Welcome back. :cake: Thanks for sharing about the book. It sounds like something that could benefit someone I know. :)

Hello there, and welcome to AVEN! :cake:

As part of my welcome to you, I'd like to point out some important threads that might be helpful in your first few days here. :) The Terms of Service is here. We recommend you read it over, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send either myself or any other administrator or moderator (the "admod" team, as we're called) a message.  Also, there's a handy forum called Site Info, which has some useful information including a thread outlining who moderates which forum. If you ever need something done in or have questions about a specific forum, please message the mod of that forum. And if you have problems with the site in general, or any single member, please message any admod. 

The following are also nifty links to take a look at:  Welcome Lounge Mini Manual | Welcoming 101 | Quick Guide to the Forums | Asexuality FAQ's

Again, welcome to AVEN and I hope your stay is everything you hoped!

Archived