I thought I'd be like him!

Lord Pocky

As a young child, I looked up to several folks; my parents, my older brother, and Link from The Legend of Zelda. 

When I was growing up, I got to watch my brother play video games, and sometimes I got to play them as well. The one I watched him play the most would possibly be Ocarina Of Time. And thus my introduction to The Legend of Zelda was set in stone. 

The most I remember loving from that game was the music, adventures, and Link himself! The bright and colorful characters, the wonderful lands to explore, I loved them all!

I wanted to be him, I wanted to be Link! I wanted to play the ocarina, go out on adventures, and eventually save Hyrule from the evil forces of Ganondorf! 

I thought that I would grow up to be Link, grow up a strong, courageous boy. Well, when puberty set in, I had realized that my dreams of becoming the hero of time were shattered. I grew up believing that I'd become just like my dad: a male. But instead, I grew up to be more like my mom: a female. 

I was confused. I was very very confused as to why this was happening! I of course was told the birds and the bees (even though I didn't really understand it) so I knew of men and women, so I just assumed that I was going to be the male in that strange situation (even though I didn't want to be in that situation. *sex*) 

As I continued to grow, I became disgusted with my body because I believed that I was really going to grow up differently! I believed that I would be just like my male cousins and older brother! I played with them all the time when we were all younger, even though my cousins were rough and wrestled a lot, my brother and I stayed away from that since we didn't like to get dirty. 

We played outside, we played video games, hide and seek, and ate pizza together as a group! Those were great times and I felt a part of the group, I felt like I was one of them! 

Even now, I still wish I were like them, like Link! Courageous, strong, and a guy! But, I can still try to be him. I can still be courageous and a boy, despite my biology! 

Have any of you ever felt that you connected with a character that you thought you'd be like them when you grew up? I'd love to hear your stories!

link_ocarina_of_time_display_Legend_of_Z

:lol: I was a huge Link fan too, but I grew out of this whole hero thing pretty fast. (obvious right, since my avatar totally isn't a disney hero... *whistles*)

Ha ha! What movie was that from again? Treasure planet? I wanna see that movie again. The only thing I barely remember of that movie was two aliens speaking in fart noises. XD great job, memory, you really know how to keep your priorities straight!

lmao yeah it's treasure planet, better go and get your fix of heroes and good morals à la Disney. (on a random side note, I wanted his hair cut so bad when I was 12 and I just realized I still do.)

Forgotten Fox

I have so many favorite characters from when I was young that I related to(They went from squirrel spies, imaginary friends, and even a scared pink dog), but the ones I wanted to be were typically spies, investigators, or just pure geniuses. I freaken hated the nerd stereotype ever since I gotten glasses and wondered why being smart meant you couldn't be athletic, a class clown, or a hero and not just a sidekick. Tintin, The Bauldelaire Orphans, Hermione Granger, and even Artemis Fowl(I didn't like how cocky/whiny he could get in the first few books but he grew on me) were what I aspired to be. I didn't care about the genders, if they were the not a typical hero type, but still pulled off the most amazing acts while fitting within in the nerd stereotype then that was my kinda of role model. :D

Archived