Between Demi and Fray:It's a thing right?

earlthecat

I saw henpen82's post about have a narrow type and I think that it isn't narrow, it is a real thing just hard to understand.

I was looking around for my own sexual it finding about 5 results that fit me but still had major flaws considering. His post fit me perfectly. Having the umbrella term for grey is downright confusing because it is almost as if I am switching or just plain stuck when it comes to it. In reality it comes down to having a window between the two terms. Most people would argue saying that it doesn't exist but it downright does. It is sort of like a loophole.

Its very hard to understand but I'm sure henpen82's and I aren't the only ones who feel this way.

I'm suggesting, can we or should we coin or start a term for this?

Moved from Intersectionality to The Grey Area.

TheAP

Intersectionality mod

Apathetic Echidna

@earlthecat I totally understand about finding a few different but ill-fitting terms. I have narrowed down my options to one I am comfortable with however I still feel that if I do come out I will then have to qualify it with a 'but' to point out the extra bits and flaws. 

Personally I don't see grey as being a bad umbrella term for all the less known orientations, as long as people also respect that grey can be a whole complete orientation in its own right if people choose to identify in that way. I don't get what you mean by 

5 hours ago, earlthecat said:

as if I am switching or just plain stuck

and as for your question you want a term for somewhere in between a demi and a fray experience?

Yes, that is what I am saying because you can either switch between the terms fray or demi when I'm thinking for more people than just me, what about when both apply at the same time. For example I have a friends where I have a squish for demi but at some point when actually getting to know them the relationship I develop suddenly frays. This applies in many different ways so if you want me to elaborate I'll be happy too. In that relationship They still have an emotional connection with me and I do for them but it is broken so I don't feel that I can form a relationship with them beyond that point. Henpen82 describes it well in his post.  I want a term that means not always between demi and fray but for both enacting at the same time. Using the umbrella term frustrates me because it can be difficult to understand that both can work at the same time.Bi-polar might be the word for it. So if we were to define it in particular and name it somewhere along the lines of a root word that means both. So it would be something like bipolar grey (and whatever goes behind it).

• 1 month later...
Aroace...Artimus

Well, if you don’t just want to use gray-ace, you can coin a term. People do it all the time. And, I’ve never heard of a term for someone who feels like they are a mix between demi and fray or in the middle of demi and fray. So, go ahead, invent a label. You’re feelings are valid and you have the right to make a term that you like. And, It’ll probably help some people who feel similar ways. Plus, It’ll help them understand themselves better and identify with a term they feel more comfortable with.

Archived