How to come out as trans to my family?

MomijiBunny

I'm 17. I'm transgender mtf. I was wondering how I should come out to my family. They're all extremely religious. I don't know how to tell them that I'm transgender and want to be called my female name, Emily, and female pronouns. I'm really stuck on what to do. I feel so uncomfortable and gross when people call me my birth name and male pronouns. I feel sick every time I hear them. How do I come out to them? I want to go on estrogen so badly. I want to get a female body. I want long hair. I want to wear women's clothes. I want to feel more comfortable and happier. I was thinking about just buying some female clothes and putting them on and going to my parents, and telling them I'm trans. Is that a good idea? Do you think they'd kick me out? I don't think they would, but I don't know. They are always saying how much they love me, and that that love is unconditional, but you never know. 

Semiterrestrial Scientist

I think that you should go for it. You may have to explain some terms and other things to them. Since they are religious, don’t expect them to accept you immediately. This will most likely take some time. If they love you as much as they say they will accept you for who you are. If you have a gut feeling that you really shouldn’t do it, then trust your gut. Good luck 🍀 

butterflydreams

Only you can really know what their reaction might be. But if there's potential for them to kick you out, it might be best to wait. Unless you're prepared to be on your own. 

Trans always seems to break the camel's back when it comes to even the most tolerant people, so it's good to have some caution. Whatever you choose to do, I hope it works out for you.

I would be careful, especially if they are religious.  Maybe before coming out, try gaging how they feel about trans subjects; like if something is mentioned about trans issues being discussed in the media, try to be passive about the mentions of it.  If they react really negatively, and you don't have a way to move out yet, then not coming out would be safer.  If you're not in danger of getting kicked out at all then you can bite the bullet.  Good luck :)

Absolutely go for it. I was worried about the same things (except I'm genderflux) and it just took a few too many muffin/cookies, not enough sleep, and a good opportunity (If you can't find any, make your own opportunity)  :) 

Archived