Normal side effects of donating blood?

Zosia

So, um...I was just wondering if anyone here might be able to tell me if it’s normal to have muscle pain/body soreness/back aches days after donating blood? I’ve tried looking around online, and most of what I’m coming up with is just the symptoms a person might feel right after donating (faintness, bruising at the injection site, etc). No one I know has donated, so they can’t really tell me, and this was the first time I had ever donated...has anyone had experience with this?

I donated 4 days ago, and every day since then I’ve had this pain/soreness in my muscles all over. My arms, shoulders, thighs, knees, calves, back, neck. I also had very mild headaches for 2 days. Today the pain in my back has been the worst, wrapping around my ribs and making me slightly nauseous (I usually get nauseous when in pain regardless). Pain meds seem to help, though. I rarely feel sore like this—only when really stressed or physically exerting myself more than usual—and never for days at a time.

Is this normal? Has anyone experienced this—how long does it last, if so? Should I just keep taking it easy and watching iron/vitamin C/water intake? Or, is this an issue I should bring up to someone since this is continuously happening for 4 days after the blood draw? I’m such a newbie at this. :redface:

I've never had anything like that happen and haven't heard of it before. I think it would be a good idea to get it checked out.

I'm a pro at blood donation at this point. Other than pain in my arm from the occasional bruising I've never had problems days after. 

I second what @daveb said, get checked out by a doctor to be safe. It might not even be related to your recent blood donation.

I'm going to agree with what the other two have said, I give blood on a regular basis, I have never had any after affects, I have been giving blood for over 30 years now, I would consult your doctor before giving blood again.

I used to donate on a regular basis too (can't any more as I had a transfusion last year). I agree with the others, I never had any after affects days after - only time I had a problem was when I was donating plasma and the incompetent put the needle straight through the vein :( 

Archived