What is aromanticism?

jam5725

I may be aromatic, but I'm not sure. I want to be loved and to be in a romantic relationship, but am also repulsed by romantic gestures (kissing, hugging, etc.) I'm not sure if this counts as aromanticism?

Being aromantic means that you don't desire being in a romantic relationship in the first place. Judging by what you wrote, that doesn't seem to apply to you. Being repulsed by "romantic gestures" in itself doesn't say much except that you're not into this kind of things. That's totally okay - it's always up to the people involved to figure out how to express their feelings in a way that is comfortable for and understood by all of them.

Best of luck :)

Welcome jam5725! :cake:

I agree with what Homer said, but I'd like to add onto that a bit. Aromantic people can like the idea of relationships, but once in an actual relationship find themselves feeling, for lack of a better word, wrong. For example, I thought I wanted a romantic relationship, too, so when I finally agreed to one of my friends asking me out, I thought it would be perfect since we got along so well. Once the romance aspect of it started happening, such as kissing, hugging, him feeling romantically attracted to me etc. (all of which sounded great in my head), I realized that romance is absolutely not for me. I also don't experience those kinds of feelings toward people, which was a tough thing to figure out initially.

So, you may be aromantic or you may just be a little grossed out by that sort of thing but still feel romantic attraction toward people. Here is a wiki link to romantic attraction that you might find useful: http://wiki.asexuality.org/Romantic_attraction

Good luck!

Archived