Hello~.

Ldlelee

It's nice to meet you all! I'm Alysha. I'm glad that I found a website where I can meet others like me. :D

My story goes that I had no idea that I was asexual until earlier this year when it occurred to me that my definition of attraction and other people's definition of attraction were completely different. I also learned that I had confused sexual attraction with aesthetic attraction. ;; Now everything makes a lot more sense. (Honestly, I probably should’ve seen it sooner.)

I’m eighteen years old, and I’m currently taking a gap year, working part-time to save up for college. I plan to study English Literature and become an editor for a book publishing company. (I’d also like to study Japanese/Japanese Literature, if it’s available.)

I look forward to meeting all of you. :)

Welcome! :) It's nice to meet you. What kinds of literature interest you the most?

Image result for book cake

GOOD EVENING TO YOU!!!

Welcome to tonight's very own special Welcome To Aven televised special!

May I ask who you are?

Alysha? That's a very strong name to have. You should be happy to know that.

What's my name? Well I go by Achroma the most... It's much easier to remember...

Well, I got JUST the literature for you if you ever give me a jingle on the old telly phone, hmmm?

Well, hope you like my short introduction... I'm kinda having to play Catch Up on Hi-jinxes LOL... Nice to meet ya!

Have some rubs from this kitty. ;)

- Achroma

Welcome to Aven! Glad to see that you're able to accept smaller parts of yourself that make up you. 

1033249144001_2034127247001_900944612-18 

have some cake!

3 hours ago, TheAP said:

Welcome! :) It's nice to meet you. What kinds of literature interest you the most?

Image result for book cake

That has to be the most delicious looking cake I've ever seen. It's so perfect, I almost don't want to eat it. (Almost.)

My tastes frequently vary. At the moment, I'm in a mystery phase. I like stories that are really dark and have a lot of action in them, and since I'm aromantic, I stray from ones that look romance-oriented. (That isn't to say I hate romance in literature/film/etc., but I do find it tedious at times.) Basically, I will read almost anything except romance and erotica. :)

2 hours ago, Achromatic Kitty said:

GOOD EVENING TO YOU!!!

Welcome to tonight's very own special Welcome To Aven televised special!

May I ask who you are?

Alysha? That's a very strong name to have. You should be happy to know that.

What's my name? Well I go by Achroma the most... It's much easier to remember...

Well, I got JUST the literature for you if you ever give me a jingle on the old telly phone, hmmm?

Well, hope you like my short introduction... I'm kinda having to play Catch Up on Hi-jinxes LOL... Nice to meet ya!

Have some rubs from this kitty. ;)

- Achroma

Nice to meet you! I would love to talk about books with you. :D (I have precious few to talk to about them with, heh. ;; )

1 hour ago, Iced Milk Boy said:

Welcome to Aven! Glad to see that you're able to accept smaller parts of yourself that make up you. 

1033249144001_2034127247001_900944612-18 

have some cake!

Thank you so much! It took me a while, but I think I'm in a much happier place than I used to be. :)

Welcome! Is your icon from Bungo Stray Dogs? (文豪ストレイドッグス) I really quite enjoyed that anime, do you enjoy a lot of action anime, Id love to have a discussion over some good ones to watch :) 

8 hours ago, Lichley said:

Welcome! Is your icon from Bungo Stray Dogs? (文豪ストレイドッグス) I really quite enjoyed that anime, do you enjoy a lot of action anime, Id love to have a discussion over some good ones to watch :) 

YES, IT IS! I'm so happy you recognized it. :D Bungou Stray Dogs is one of my favorite animes of all time; Haikyuu!! is probably the only one that I love more. And yes, animes that center on a lot of action are nice, but I'm drawn to mysteries and psychological thrillers a lot, too. (As I mentioned, I'm in a mystery phase. xD ) I also tend to watch a lot of sports anime and slice-of-life anime. Right now I'm almost done with Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge, although it's been slow-going since I'm working so much and I'm always tired. ;_;

Welcome! :cake: It took me into my 40s to realize that I was feeling aesthetic attraction where other people were feeling sexual attraction, so you're already ahead of the game. :)  The world can always use more editors, and one who is bilingual in Japanese could really go far.  Not only are there several companies doing manga and light novel translations into English, but I know there's a growing need for Japanese/English bilingual editors in sf/f/h as more Japanese genre authors get translated into English.

11 minutes ago, Seajules said:

Welcome! :cake: It took me into my 40s to realize that I was feeling aesthetic attraction where other people were feeling sexual attraction, so you're already ahead of the game. :)  The world can always use more editors, and one who is bilingual in Japanese could really go far.  Not only are there several companies doing manga and light novel translations into English, but I know there's a growing need for Japanese/English bilingual editors in sf/f/h as more Japanese genre authors get translated into English.

Oh wow, that makes me feel a little better. xD And yes, that's my dream job! I would be fine editing English novels, but I really want to translate/edit Japanese novels because my love for them is ingrained deep, and I want people to appreciate them as much as I do. ♥

7 minutes ago, NoLongerHuman said:

Oh wow, that makes me feel a little better. xD And yes, that's my dream job! I would be fine editing English novels, but I really want to translate/edit Japanese novels because my love for them is ingrained deep, and I want people to appreciate them as much as I do. ♥

Even if you just take language courses that allow you to build fluency, that combined with an English Lit degree should give you the background to find a good internship at a publishing house that does those projects, and let them know you have those skills.  You don't need to study Japanese Lit (though if it's available as a course, or if there are Asian Studies courses you can take as an English Lit major, grab as many as you can), just have the language skills and the English editorial skills.  I have a few friends who've done the translations and the "smoothed out" English versions that happen after the literal translation takes place (since literal translations do not always make for the most readable stories), and they said that most of those involved were people who also did straight English publishing, but they read Japanese fluently, which made them part of the translations team.

30 minutes ago, Seajules said:

Even if you just take language courses that allow you to build fluency, that combined with an English Lit degree should give you the background to find a good internship at a publishing house that does those projects, and let them know you have those skills.  You don't need to study Japanese Lit (though if it's available as a course, or if there are Asian Studies courses you can take as an English Lit major, grab as many as you can), just have the language skills and the English editorial skills.  I have a few friends who've done the translations and the "smoothed out" English versions that happen after the literal translation takes place (since literal translations do not always make for the most readable stories), and they said that most of those involved were people who also did straight English publishing, but they read Japanese fluently, which made them part of the translations team.

This is great advice. I would probably take the Asian Studies or Japanese Literature course for fun (because I'm a nerd), and major in English Literature with a minor in Japanese. :D I took some Japanese in high school, but I'm far from fluent enough to do any big translations at the moment.

7 hours ago, NoLongerHuman said:

YES, IT IS! I'm so happy you recognized it. :D Bungou Stray Dogs is one of my favorite animes of all time; Haikyuu!! is probably the only one that I love more. And yes, animes that center on a lot of action are nice, but I'm drawn to mysteries and psychological thrillers a lot, too. (As I mentioned, I'm in a mystery phase. xD ) I also tend to watch a lot of sports anime and slice-of-life anime. Right now I'm almost done with Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge, although it's been slow-going since I'm working so much and I'm always tired. ;_;

Oh man, I love that show, it's just so relaxing and gently paced whilst still being interesting.

Hello there ~ :cake:

I can relate to that mistaking sexual for aesthetic attraction a lot. It took me years to realize that.

I also happen to study Japanese and I really like Japanese culture! I translate and analyze songs of my favorite band for fun.

(And I like Haikyuu!! as well. One of my favorite shows ~)

Hello there, and welcome to AVEN! :cake:

As part of my welcome to you, I'd like to point out some important threads that might be helpful in your first few days here. :) The Terms of Service is here. We recommend you read it over, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send either myself or any other administrator or moderator (the "admod" team, as we're called) a message.  Also, there's a handy forum called Site Info, which has some useful information including a thread outlining who moderates which forum. If you ever need something done in or have questions about a specific forum, please message the mod of that forum. And if you have problems with the site in general, or any single member, please message any admod. 

The following are also nifty links to take a look at:  Welcome Lounge Mini Manual | Welcoming 101 | Quick Guide to the Forums | Asexuality FAQ's

Again, welcome to AVEN and I hope your stay is everything you hoped!

4 hours ago, Lichley said:

Oh man, I love that show, it's just so relaxing and gently paced whilst still being interesting.

Yes! It's more than I'd hoped. I'm surprised at how much it makes me laugh, despite it being so...lethargic. xD

3 hours ago, Macadamia Nut said:

Hello there ~ :cake:

I can relate to that mistaking sexual for aesthetic attraction a lot. It took me years to realize that.

I also happen to study Japanese and I really like Japanese culture! I translate and analyze songs of my favorite band for fun.

(And I like Haikyuu!! as well. One of my favorite shows ~)

That's awesome! It's nice to meet someone who's as obsessed with Japan as I am. :D I mostly try to translate doujinshis, though sometimes I'll listen to an OST and try to translate it by ear. It doesn't always work out so well. xD

AND YES, Haikyuu!! is everything. I'm waiting for the fourth season like the desert is waiting for rain. ;~;

1 hour ago, .Lia said:

Hello there, and welcome to AVEN! :cake:

As part of my welcome to you, I'd like to point out some important threads that might be helpful in your first few days here. :) The Terms of Service is here. We recommend you read it over, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send either myself or any other administrator or moderator (the "admod" team, as we're called) a message.  Also, there's a handy forum called Site Info, which has some useful information including a thread outlining who moderates which forum. If you ever need something done in or have questions about a specific forum, please message the mod of that forum. And if you have problems with the site in general, or any single member, please message any admod. 

The following are also nifty links to take a look at:  Welcome Lounge Mini Manual | Welcoming 101 | Quick Guide to the Forums | Asexuality FAQ's

Again, welcome to AVEN and I hope your stay is everything you hoped!

Thank you so much! I'm enjoying my stay so far. I've already met a lot of awesome people. :D

6 hours ago, NoLongerHuman said:

That's awesome! It's nice to meet someone who's as obsessed with Japan as I am. :D I mostly try to translate doujinshis, though sometimes I'll listen to an OST and try to translate it by ear. It doesn't always work out so well. xD

AND YES, Haikyuu!! is everything. I'm waiting for the fourth season like the desert is waiting for rain. ;~;

I sometimes tend to correct translators when I watch anime XD

Because of nature of the band I translate songs of, I tend to see a bit more than some translators, hah. But I wouldn't say I'm pro.

Me too! I really like this series, because I am myself a volleyball fan. I like how well made this show is and it can be a good start even for people not interested in the sport at all. The way they explain everything is so simple and enjoyable ~

3 hours ago, Macadamia Nut said:

I sometimes tend to correct translators when I watch anime XD

Because of nature of the band I translate songs of, I tend to see a bit more than some translators, hah. But I wouldn't say I'm pro.

Me too! I really like this series, because I am myself a volleyball fan. I like how well made this show is and it can be a good start even for people not interested in the sport at all. The way they explain everything is so simple and enjoyable ~

Me too, at times. I'll notice an error or something, or think of a better way to put a phrase, and I'll feel stupidly proud of myself after that. xD

Yes, it is so well made. The quality is ace. (Pun intended, in both ways. :D ) I used to be a person that wasn't interested in sports, and then I saw Haikyuu!! and it made me want to start running in the morning and join a volleyball team and lift weights and everything else under the fitness rainbow. Thankfully I was able to wait it out. (Though I do love to run. It's good for stress-relieving. :) )

22 minutes ago, NoLongerHuman said:

Me too, at times. I'll notice an error or something, or think of a better way to put a phrase, and I'll feel stupidly proud of myself after that. xD

Yes, it is so well made. The quality is ace. (Pun intended, in both ways. :D ) I used to be a person that wasn't interested in sports, and then I saw Haikyuu!! and it made me want to start running in the morning and join a volleyball team and lift weights and everything else under the fitness rainbow. Thankfully I was able to wait it out. (Though I do love to run. It's good for stress-relieving. :) )

Yes! I can totally relate XD I also have this stupid thing, I can't understand a song until I translate and analyze it by myself :'D Nonetheless, it's so much fun to translate ~ 

Quality puns always appreciated :D It's so simple yet so engaging and informative (for people not interested in volley whatsoever). I've always liked and enjoyed watching sports of all kinds, but for various reasons I can't do sports (one of them being laziness, but shh). Though, I've always admired people who would wake up early to run or excercise and/or would go to the gym regularly (where did they get motivation, honestly).

12 hours ago, Macadamia Nut said:

Yes! I can totally relate XD I also have this stupid thing, I can't understand a song until I translate and analyze it by myself :'D Nonetheless, it's so much fun to translate ~ 

Quality puns always appreciated :D It's so simple yet so engaging and informative (for people not interested in volley whatsoever). I've always liked and enjoyed watching sports of all kinds, but for various reasons I can't do sports (one of them being laziness, but shh). Though, I've always admired people who would wake up early to run or excercise and/or would go to the gym regularly (where did they get motivation, honestly).

It's hard at first to become motivated. For a while, my motivation was simply a deep, psychological fear of gaining weight, and so I exercised every single day for hours. I'm not like that anymore (though I still don't want to gain weight, because I'm happy at the weight that I'm at now), and so now I mostly do it because I don't see a reason not to.

13 hours ago, NoLongerHuman said:

It's hard at first to become motivated. For a while, my motivation was simply a deep, psychological fear of gaining weight, and so I exercised every single day for hours. I'm not like that anymore (though I still don't want to gain weight, because I'm happy at the weight that I'm at now), and so now I mostly do it because I don't see a reason not to.

People around me keep telling me I'm thin, but I'm not. Maybe that's because my height is... Not so impressive and it creates an illusion of sorts :'D But I'm not concerned about my looks either (maybe besides some mild dysphoria). I should find a set of excercises for myself, I think.

11 hours ago, Macadamia Nut said:

People around me keep telling me I'm thin, but I'm not. Maybe that's because my height is... Not so impressive and it creates an illusion of sorts :'D But I'm not concerned about my looks either (maybe besides some mild dysphoria). I should find a set of excercises for myself, I think.

People tell me the exact same thing! I've learned to not listen to what other people have to say about how I look, and it's a good thing that you're at this point, too. :D (I think everybody experiences some dysphoria, so don't worry.) If you want to exercise, then go for it, but remember to not start out too strong. It can really hurt you. I would get sick from running too much, so I toned it down for a bit while I built up my stamina. :)

Space-Ace-Android

:cake:It is good you found yourself, enjoy some bookish cake!:cake:

Image result for Book cake

Have a brilliant day! I hope you enjoy this forum and never forget to ace everything :)

9 hours ago, Space-Ace-Android said:

:cake:It is good you found yourself, enjoy some bookish cake!:cake:

Image result for Book cake

Have a brilliant day! I hope you enjoy this forum and never forget to ace everything :)

That cake looks so delicious and that pun was exceptionally clever. I like you. xD

Archived