Finally Worked Up the Courage

Mendy

Hi.

After a lot of soul-searching a few years ago, I realized that I'm asexual aromantic (I think? I've never been romantically attracted to anyone...but maybe that will change?) I know I'm sex-repulsed, and I think I'm a smidge romance-repulsed.

I found this site a while ago, and it was the first safe space I could find to talk about this stuff. I'm so grateful that other people are brave enough to post their stories and offer advice. A month or two back, I actually made an account here so I could participate in the conversation. I've been agonizing over what my first post should be since then and I think I've FINALLY pushed my anxiety to the side enough to actually get something out there. 

I should probably mention that I'm VERY deeply in the closet. Coming out to the majority of my family (especially my parents) is dangerous, so I've been hesitant to talk about it to anyone. My best friend and my sister (and brother-in-law) are the only ones who know. My best friend is the most supportive, wonderful, straight ally a person could ask for, but my sister and her husband are struggling to be supportive. Keep "forgetting" about my orientation, refusing to do any research, suggesting I have hormone problems, and general flip-flopping between supporting and questioning my orientation. My sister and my BOL love me and are usually very supportive, just not about this.

So yeah. I guess I'm just looking for a place to connect and talk about stuff I don't get to talk about enough. And some people to talk to.

I'm moving to a more populated area soon, so hopefully I can go to some ace meet-ups soon!

Okay. I think I've rambled enough. Nice to meet you :)

Plenty of us are very deeply in the closet, so you're not alone. Welcome. :cake:

Welcome! I'm glad you felt comfortable enough to share your experience with the community! I hope the community will be of more help to you in the future as well.

Welcome, I hope one day you will feel safe enough to come out to your parents, but I know it isn't for everyone, so take your time and only come out to the people you want to :) 

c3.jpg

Hello there, and welcome to AVEN! :cake:

As part of my welcome to you, I'd like to point out some important threads that might be helpful in your first few days here. :) The Terms of Service is here. We recommend you read it over, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to send either myself or any other administrator or moderator (the "admod" team, as we're called) a message.  Also, there's a handy forum called Site Info, which has some useful information including a thread outlining who moderates which forum. If you ever need something done in or have questions about a specific forum, please message the mod of that forum. And if you have problems with the site in general, or any single member, please message any admod. 

The following are also nifty links to take a look at:  Welcome Lounge Mini Manual | Welcoming 101 | Quick Guide to the Forums | Asexuality FAQ's

Again, welcome to AVEN and I hope your stay is everything you hoped!

Archived