Do I have a mental disorder

lazypanda

I have a very difficult to describe problem. Put simply, I want to experience other peoples lives. I'm bored living my own life. I want to sample as many different kinds of life as possible. I want to be a teenager in the 90s, i want to be a hippie in the 60s, i want to be a farmer in the WW2 era,i want to be an actress in early hollywood, i want to be a  woman from the victorian era etc etc etc. I know it sounds very silly when I say it out...but its driving me insane. I also have an obsession with schools...i want to be an american school kid in a public school, I want to be a british school kid going to an upstate private school, I want to be a Chinese school kid who studies 18 hours a day, I want to be an indian school kid who lives in a hyper competetive environment . 

When I watch movies, I dont watch for the story...i watch to observe the background,the set,the costume and the overall vibes of the movie that make me feel like I live there. I then use that to fantasize being in that time and age in my own head . 

Anybody know if this is an actual mental disorder ?? Does it have a name ?? I couldnt find anything on google. 

I really want to get help as its disrupting my daily life....

I believe it called bigger-then-life spirit or well that's what my friend dubbed it as. I am very similar to you in that. My mind wonders and I want to be there and then and do this and that. I watched Victoria and Abdul yesterday and all I could think of what it must been like in this clothes in those time in those worlds. 

12 minutes ago, Lei_101 said:

I believe it called bigger-then-life spirit or well that's what my friend dubbed it as.

I'm so glad you get me....i thought no one would understand...

It's alright as long as it doesnt affect your day to day functioning...

It was really fun when I was a kid....and I learnt so much...because I did research to fuel my fantasies...but now I have important work to do..and this is messing up my life...

5 minutes ago, lazypanda said:

I'm so glad you get me....i thought no one would understand...

It's alright as long as it doesnt affect your day to day functioning...

It was really fun when I was a kid....and I learnt so much...because I did research to fuel my fantasies...but now I have important work to do..and this is messing up my life...

I currently have exams and it messes me up then because I just suddenly forget my work and just wonder and it doesn't help that it's silent and nothing to distract me. 

Im probably gone through millions of things I want to do and places to be. 

People sometimes are referred to as old souls that are like this. That we are nothing like today's people and we seek to learn and discover and just know what life was a billion time different. The old soul also represents a sort of reincarnation and the belief is that if you are an old soul you have lived only 1% of a hundred thousand lives.

If this is interfering with your life, professional help is a good idea. No reputable professional will attempt to diagnosis you without working with you first.

Sometimes people think other people's lives are more cool than our own lives because our own lives are boring or a drag or whatever.  Don't wish for anyone else's life.  Everyone has their own problems.  Some people may seem to have perfect lives, but they don't.

drjohnhwatson

My mom always says that even when I was a child, she and my father would say that I had an "old spirit".  I kind of get almost a little dizzy walking down back alleys in the town I used to work at because they have a lot of Victorian buildings, and I feel as if I can blink and suddenly I'm there, and the carriages have replaced cars and I can almost, just nearly, hear the beats of hooves on cobblestones.  Then I blink again, and it's all gone.

I often wish, with a bone-deep ache, that I could have seen and experienced so many different cultures in ages bygone.

I don't think that there's any sort of mental illness going on, though, and it's almost impossible--or perhaps it is--to diagnose a person without being a professional, especially without knowing them and through the internet.

Thanks for all the replies....it definitely made me feel better....

On 11/15/2017 at 1:55 PM, Lei_101 said:

People sometimes are referred to as old souls that are like this.

4 hours ago, drjohnhwatson said:

My mom always says that even when I was a child, she and my father would say that I had an "old spirit". 

Omg, i always thought I was an old soul too !!! I don't really get current trends, I'm always listening to old music and I never fit in with people my age !!! I also like to be alone,and just think about life and the world !!! I sometimes even wonder if all asexuals are old souls who have been through so many lives that we know sex is not as awesome as people think it is.

On 11/15/2017 at 4:47 PM, lilgroundhog said:

If this is interfering with your life, professional help is a good idea.

4 hours ago, drjohnhwatson said:

to diagnose a person without being a professional,

I can't afford professional help at the moment....thats why I'm trying to do some research on my own... 

I would also be deeply uncomfortable to describe this irl to a real person...

Whenever I go for a walk, I go to the old castles that are around the place I live, and I imagine what it would have been like to live there. I imagine what the landscape looked like during the 13th century, I see horses and knights and peasants coming up the caslte, I see the chambers, rooms, kitchens that used to be in the castle. I imagine soldiers on crenallated walls guarding the land. I imagine the feasts, the decorum, the treaties and conflicts... I imagine the ravages of disease (black plague, mostly), and how some brave souls went to certain places to deposit food.... I spend my time recreating past worlds around me :) I guess that's why I like history so much! 

So no, I don't think you have a mental disorder. What I usually do to get out all those people living in my head is that I write stories. Sometimes I physically write stories, sometimes I just play them in my head, and then move on to the next story. Perhaps it could help you as well, to write down all the things you imagine? 

You have tingled my inner reasearcher, haha.
I used to be kind of interested in mental disorders when I was younger actually. While I don't necessarily think you might have a mental disorder, I could suggest reading about fantasy prone personality and mind-wandering.

Sounds like you'd make an excellent historian. Also, if you really are interested, there are historical re enactments groups for just about any time period. they give you a little taste of the life.

Janus the Fox

Culture shock and a desire to experience or learn about historical society, not sure if anything's wrong here beyond a curiosity of the past and present.

Archived