problem with complementing

stuartmcgrath

stuartmcgrath

dose anyone know how to complement someone on there physical appearance without coming off as flirty or something like that 

e.g. they have a cute nose and i want them to know(s) 

For me it really depends on the tone of voice or the situation. Sometimes I just take it as an innocent compliment, but other times I feel like it might be intended to mock me, regardless of if it really is just a kind compliment. I rarely interpret physical complements as flirtation, but that's mostly due to my own self confidence issues.

I’m terrible at compliments. ☹️ I don’t really compliment people on their looks, and I don’t really think to praise people a whole lot so any compliments I do make feel kinda forced. And, compliments really throw me off when directed at me; I know it’s good etiquette to compliment someone back, but I end up just squirming awkwardly cause I can’t think of something sincere to say on fly. 😖 That in turn makes me nervous about complimenting someone else too cause I don’t want to feel anxious like I do.

Whenever I'm complimenting someone in general (not necessarily on their looks), I tend to explain my statement as to why I think so. But it's really rare for me to compliment anyone on their looks per se and you won't hear from me anything more than "nice" or "cool".

I've never complimented anyone on their looks in that way. I do sometimes say things like "your sweater has a very nice color, it fits you very well". I find it difficult to compliment looks not related to clothes, maybe because I have no confidence at all in my own looks. And anyone can have a nice sweater. It just doesn't seem fair to me to not say anything about their face, for example, which they couldn't change (except with surgery of course). If someone got a nice sweater or a haircut they made an effort and that weighs in more to the compliment, I think.

I normally only compliment friends who know I'm asexual or people who I judge won't be attracted to me. However, if it really is a stranger that you won't see again, it's not a big deal if my compliments are taken as flirtatious.  Most people like being flirted with and, unless you are in a place that stereotypically leads to hookups, people don't expect any followup.

However, if I complement acquaintances I see again, I do get accused of leading people on.  It's unfortunate that being friendly is interpreted as something in else.

I would say it in a way that I would say to a cousin or sibling. I don’t know if that makes sense, it’s just an extra platonic situation. Also it doesn’t hurt to say your intention as well. (I just wanted you to know)

Archived