Australians Voted Yes To Same-Sex Marriage

LeChat

stuartmcgrath

what's to congratulate? the vote changes nothing and in the end it's the same people who keep saying no get to decide what happens next

Based on what I've heard from a friend about this, under the new bill marriage officiants will still reserve the right to refuse to marry same sex couples though, so yeah there's still that.

The government has said it is their priority and they will have marriage equality by xmas, I'd put a bet that they will.

37 minutes ago, Philip027 said:

Based on what I've heard from a friend about this, under the new bill marriage officiants will still reserve the right to refuse to marry same sex couples though, so yeah there's still that.

Are you talking about government employees or clergy and private citizens?

Not a clue, I didn't bother reading further into it because I'm not Australian.  Just going by what my friend said (who seemed to express some upset at that particular fact)

According to the BBC news this is a "Non-binding referendum", however the Australian Prime Minister has stated that politicians need to "get this into law" by Christmas. (As per BBC radio 6Music news @0730GMT today).

So, barring the intricacies of politics it looks like this will become law, however until debated and passed in Parliament it isn't the case just yet

Yes, technically it hasn't been officially passed into law yet, but since the Australians and businesses were celebrating (hugging and crying tears of joy; Sydney's Opera house lit in rainbow colors; and even New York City's Empire State building was changed to the rainbow colors in honor of Australia) and because everyone from around the world was congratulating Australians on Twitter, I thought LGBT+ Australians on AVEN might appreciate the gesture. I didn't want them feeling ignored or as though they're unimportant (since most members are in the U.S.) thinking something like, "Typical Americans. They don't care or notice anything that happens in our country."

I'm Australian I voted yes and to say it changes nothing is incorrect. Both major parties are in favor there's no chance the bill will be voted down. Labor will have about 90% yes vote for the bill. If the conservatives try block it there will be a back lash next election. Even Tony Abbott said he won't stand in the way.

I'm really surprised by this referendum... I thought the majority of Australians were Catholic... :blink::blink:

49 minutes ago, Hazell said:

I'm really surprised by this referendum... I thought the majority of Australians were Catholic... :blink::blink:

Being Catholic doesn't mean you have to be against same-sex marriage.

1 hour ago, Hazell said:

according to wikipedia, the largest religious grouping in austrailia is "no religion" at 30%. catholicism is 22.6%. ireland a country with a much higher percentage of catholics (78%, the second and fourth largest religious groupings per our 2016 census were none at 10% and not stated at 3%) had a refernedum 2 years ago which had 62% in favour.

good for austrailia for voting for this, i hope your government gets the legislation in place for it as they have stated before christmas :)

On 16/11/2017 at 9:26 PM, TheAP said:

Being Catholic doesn't mean you have to be against same-sex marriage.

The Catholic Church doesn't allow homosexuality ;)  :) 

7 minutes ago, Hazell said:

That doesn't mean that individual Catholics can't support homosexuality. 

16 minutes ago, Hazell said:

Try telling that to numerous Catholic clergy 

11 minutes ago, TheAP said:

That doesn't mean that individual Catholics can't support homosexuality. 

That's possible but I think this is some kind of "crime". I bet Codex iuris canonici condemns those who support homosexuality ;) 

5 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

Try telling that to numerous Catholic clergy 

I know some of them have homosexual tendencies. Everybody knows here :D

Anyways canon law doesn't allow any kind of homosexuality (maybe in the future things could change...who knows :) )

1 minute ago, Hazell said:

That's possible but I think this is some kind of "crime". I bet Codex iuris canonici condemns those who support homosexuality ;) 

Does that really matter? Is there any punishment for it?

2 minutes ago, Hazell said:

I think there's some kind of "ecclesiastical punishment" for that... ^_^

Just for supporting homosexuality? How would people even know how you had voted?

52 minutes ago, Hazell said:

Maybe during confession :o

But that would only be confessing if they thought it was a sin, which then they wouldn't have voted for it.

A priest came out as gay at mass and got a standing ovation

https://www.joe.ie/life-style/a-dublin-priest-got-a-standing-ovation-after-coming-out-as-gay-during-mass-480869

@borkfork  @Philip027

As per an article in The Guardian 

The bill entrenches the ability of military chaplains to refuse same-sex weddings but gives senior military officers the ability to conduct them, allows current civil celebrants to convert to become religious celebrants and reject same-sex weddings and replicates exemptions in the Sex Discrimination Act that would allow religious organisations to refuse to provide services.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/nov/11/greens-ready-to-back-dean-smith-marriage-equality-bill-as-consensus-option

The article goes on to say that the cross-party bill mentioned here is not without its detractors who point out that it doesn't go far enough.

14 minutes ago, Piotrek said:

@borkfork  @Philip027

As per an article in The Guardian 

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/nov/11/greens-ready-to-back-dean-smith-marriage-equality-bill-as-consensus-option

The article goes on to say that the cross-party bill mentioned here is not without its detractors who point out that it doesn't go far enough.

1. Churches are already allowed to refuse to marry whatever couple they choose here (mostly of non or other religious orientation). So it's really nothing new.

2. What same-sex couple would want someone who doesn't support their very existence to marry them? No couple is going to force someone to marry them.

I really don't think it's as big of a deal as some people are making out. Some of the religious people here are terrified for some reason. They think the world is going to fall apart because we're allowed to be married now. Personally, I don't care if they want to grasp onto this one last nanometer of control. It just lets people like me know who to avoid easier.

I'm happy we voted yes, and that we won. But I wish we didn't have to. I wish the politicians had just done their jobs, stopped messing around, and passed it in the first place. This entire process was stupid.

Archived