Trump is amazing!

ConorOberst

2 minutes ago, ConorOberst said:

Your IQ shows how intelligent you are.  Experience is the only way to wisdom.  You can be highly intelligent and still be foolish.   This is why many young, intelligent people do foolish things.

You can't fast track experience, it takes time, there are no shortcuts.  

I agree that you can be intelligent and foolish, but I don't agree that experience is the only way to wisdom. Why, then, are there five-year-olds who treat all people the same regardless of race, while some adults believe that certain races are superior?

2 minutes ago, ConorOberst said:

For fucks sake, you are like a broken clock.  What claim would you like me to back up?

I'll take that as a compliment :)

as to your question, your opening post would be a start. Lots of claims, no evidence. Yeah I got it, the stock market is high yada yada, but what did Trump do for this to happen?

1 minute ago, TheAP said:

I agree that you can be intelligent and foolish, but I don't agree that experience is the only way to wisdom. Why, then, are there five-year-olds who treat all people the same regardless of race, while some adults believe that certain races are superior?

Depends what you mean by superior?  Do you mean superior in intelligence or superior in what they have created?

Just now, ConorOberst said:

Depends what you mean by superior?  Do you mean superior in intelligence or superior in what they have created?

Superior as in inherently more valuable than others.

Just now, Homer said:

I'll take that as a compliment :)

as to your question, your opening post would be a start. Lots of claims, no evidence. Yeah I got it, the stock market is high yada yada, but what did Trump do for this to happen?

Oh that.  Yeah, I was wrong.  I have no evidence to back any of this up, it's just my opinion.  Is that ok?  Good enough for you?

Just now, TheAP said:

Superior as in inherently more valuable than others.

More valuable to whom?  It all depends on what you think is valuable - one culture was living in mud huts whilst another was building rockets and flying to the moon.  I don't think it can be argued that cultures and people are very different - whether you place value on that is up to you.

4 minutes ago, ConorOberst said:

Oh that.  Yeah, I was wrong.  I have no evidence to back any of this up, it's just my opinion.  Is that ok?  Good enough for you?

It was precisely what I expected :lol:

26 minutes ago, CaptainYesterday said:

That's what you believe.  They believe an open market will create competition that will lower prices.  Why should I believe you over them?

This isn't a matter of belief.   I don't care what anyone believes when it comes to issues that can be researched and fact/non-fact can be determined.  In healthcare, competition does not work, because healthcare providers don't compete with each other, and pharma corporations don't either.  

9 minutes ago, CaptainYesterday said:

That's what you believe.  They believe an open market will create competition that will lower prices.  Why should I believe you over them?

Do you really trust the corporations? If they can get away with something they'll do it and not placing regulations on them just makes them able to get away with more bad things - the high prices that currently exist are an example proving that, they don't have to make the prices so high but they do because they can and medical treatment is not something people can just choose not to have if they want to live...

They created the bad situation that exists and certainly can't be trusted to fix it.

2 hours ago, CaptainYesterday said:

Believe? It's observable fact. Corporations repeatedly show that they will exploit as much as they're allowed to get away with.

Oil companies regularly destroy cut corners to save cash, causing spills that destroy land, kill animals, plants, and do not give two shits about it. Coal companies readily pollute the air, and again do not give two shits about it.

The whole "more free the market, more free the people" has been debunked again and again and it's the people on the bottom tiers who are hurt the most.

30 minutes ago, CaptainYesterday said:

What makes those companies different from other industries that do compete with each other?

Small number of players with large barriers to entry: conditions for oligopoly market conditions, resulting in "co-respecting" behavior instead of competition. Competition is likely when there are many smaller players with low "barriers to entry" to producing products: if anyone tries price-gouging, there will be lots of competitors willing to step in  and undercut them. When a market is dominated by a few large players, they all understand that going into a brutal competitive price war will only hurt their profits (under perfectly competitive conditions, profit is driven to near zero). Even without formal collusion (which happens, too), companies will end up acting in a collusive manner in order to maximize profits. This pattern is not unique to healthcare; the US telecom monopolies are another great example (world leaders in high prices for poor services).

Slightly off topic but I hope Ayn Rand’s ethereal form is eating a shiny turd, for spending her life writing the most ludicrous philosophical justifications for why it’s okay to be an utter asshole, and spending her final days leaching off the same services she scorned (an understatement of her contempt for social programs, to be fair).

5 hours ago, CaptainYesterday said:

What makes those companies different from other industries that do compete with each other?

You're a bright guy, you figure it out, CY.  Having a tonsillectomy is not like buying a tire.  Why do you expect everyone else to do your work for you?  Sometimes it sounds like you never saw the kids' program where they ask "Which of these things are not like the other?"   

The Terrible Travis
On 11/27/2017 at 9:04 PM, CaptainYesterday said:

As I said, the argument is that we should try to bring costs down, not capitulate and have everyone pay for them at their inflated prices.

The way to bring down costs is to implement universal healthcare. Countries that have universal healthcare systems all spend less per capita on healthcare than we do.

On 30.11.2017 at 5:56 AM, The Terrible Travis said:

The way to bring down costs is to implement universal healthcare. Countries that have universal healthcare systems all spend less per capita on healthcare than we do.

But what if people don't want healthcare :D

1 minute ago, Homer said:

But what if people don't want healthcare :D

They don't want healthcare until they get sick.  :D

Archived