• Announcements

• Kelly

AVENues Holiday Special Edition is now live   08/17/17

The new edition of AVENues is done!   See:        
    • Lady Girl

Ace Community Census   11/06/17

It’s time for the 2017 Ace Community Census!   see:   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/162675-announcing-the-2017-ace-community-census/  
    • Heart

Help fund AVEN's servers!   11/06/17

AVEN is doing its annual fundraiser to raise donations for server costs! See http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/163251-aven-server-fundraiser/ for more details.  
Member44496

Aven banned word poll

should the following words be banned on aven?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Should the word 'dick' be banned?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should the word 'pussy' be banned?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Should the word 'bitch' be banned

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Should the word 'bastard" be banned?

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. Should the word 'cunt' remain banned?

• Yes
    • No

CaptainYesterday
15 hours ago, pook said:

At this point I'm just waiting for someone to say the word cracker should be completely banned because it should be treated the same as the n word for the sake of equality.

This point would hold more weight if the list didn't also have other innocuous and relatively benign "slurs" on it like "trap."  Actually, that's another good example of the moderator's selective rules enforcement here.  Almost none of wider society considers "trap" to even be an insult.  And yet it's on the list.  Please just stop pretending that this has anything to do with dick "not being a big deal in society."  This has everything to do with a bias against men.  It could not be more clear, since I have pointed out this lapse in logic about ten times and none of you have refuted it yet.

But yes, the N word is clearly worse than "cracker."  Yes, some words are worse than others.  That doesn't mean some words don't also deserve to be on the list.  You're insinuating that the ratio of cracker:the N word is the same as dick:cunt, but you cannot substantiate that.

Karret
11 hours ago, apatrickwsu said:

Blaire White and her boyfriend went to an anti-trump rally to antagonize them and make a video about the "violent left" and he was wearing a "MAGA" hat that someone pulled off and threw on the ground. Blaire grabbed for it while someone was stomping on it and it tore a fingernail. Also, someone splashed soda at them I believe at the same rally. I'm not excusing the behavior, but they were purposefully antagonizing a crowd of people to try to get this kind of reaction for an online video. Also, the conservative pro-trump, pro-blaire coverage of it misgendered her and used some awkward terminology. I can see why it may have driven FictoVore to be mad at the protester, and I don't excuse them, but I don't know why using the P-word is a great response to that.

Woow, you didn't watch the video, or you read some crazy skewed shit. They were walking around Hollywood, not doing anything provocative, to see what the reaction would be like if they just simply wore the hat. They went to... whatever the "gay" part of Hollywood was first and had no problems, aside from a few looks, and then they went to a different area, and they didn't even know the rally was happening. She mentioned later how it was only after reading some Snopes article that she realized there was apparently some "line", but it was being so poorly enforced that no average person would know where to walk. Even if she did know, she and her boyfriend weren't doing anything, and someone took her hat off her boyfriend's head, threw it, and when she tried to get it back, some asshole smashed her fucking hand with his foot, ripping her REAL nail off, leaving it bloody. Later, she was wrapping stuff up, and that was gonna be the end of it, and some stranger just threw an alcoholic drink in her face. She had no idea what it was, and she was freaking out because it was burning her eyes, and news flash: acid attacks are a thing, and she didn't know this person, so she had no idea what she could have expected.
So don't run around acting like she did that shit specifically riling them up and then only filming after she's sufficiently pissed them off. Those extremists were in the wrong, period, the end. You're doing some victim blaming shit here, do you see that? "She was antagonizing them because of what she wore, so I mean, what the hell did she expect?" is basically your argument. Use that on against someone who was raped, see how well that works out for you. See how much support you get for that.  :/
Now, one thing she did mention in that video, was that she'd be just as interested to wear a Hillary hat in like Arkansas/the Bible Belt, and I would love to see her [or maybe one of her friends, if she doesn't wanna risk that again], and see what kind of reaction she gets there. That would be truly eye opening I think. She did this for the one side; now, someone should do it for the other side. If the same shit happens, maybe it can be a lesson in humility for the extremists for both sides that they all need to chill the fuck out because they're fucking psychotic. But, if nothing that bad happens with the hard right-wingers, then the hard left-wingers got some self-inspection to do.

Sally
4 hours ago, CaptainYesterday said:

This has everything to do with a bias against men.  It could not be more clear, since I have pointed out this lapse in logic about ten times and none of you have refuted it yet.

We get exhausted trying to refute everything, CY -- and you don't recognize anyone's refutations, so what good does it do?  I do not think it has anything to do with a bias against men, and I don't think that's a lapse in logic.  But that's a disagreement involving your opinion and my opinion.   Because you can't prove it IS a bias, and I can't prove it ISN'T a bias.  

Skycaptain

On a more serious note. 

The admod team have been following this discussion closely, and have taken note of that poll, not least of which is the sheer number of members who have voted. We are debating this issue, and will post intended changes in the near future 

Tintinfan

The voting percentages for c*** remind me eierly of a certain refurendom

Yes-52%

No-48%...

timewarp
40 minutes ago, Tintinfan said:

The voting percentages for c*** remind me eierly of a certain refurendom

Yes-52%

No-48%...

Not quite. If you look at the question, it's 52% remain. :P

Karret
12 hours ago, apatrickwsu said:

The point of this is power. The oppressed group might try to lash out at the oppressor, but the power is with the oppressor. No one I've talked to about it finds "dick" even as offensive as "pussy" let alone the far worse "cunt" the same way that any insult against white people pales (pun not intended) in comparison to insults against people of color in the US. Also, a community trying to diminish the power of a slur by appropriating it doesn't give permission to the group that oppressed them to try to reinforce that oppression.

idk, I've seen some pretty fucked up shit said about white people, and the people who say it don't often get the same overwhelming stigma attached to them as a white people as a whole do, since we're all apparently racist until proven racist. 4 black people kidnapped and tortured a mentally handicapped white kid for 48 hours, with video footage of them saying "Fuck White People" and "Fuck Donald Trump" it didn't get charged as a racial hate crime [the only hate crime they could get them on was that he was mentally handicapped, which you know, thank god for that or else those people woulda gotten away with it].

Seen articles of college professors saying how they didn't want to have kids, because then their kids would be white. Others saying if you're white and you marry a white person/have white kids, you're not helping to fight against systematic racial oppression. There's a lot of self hate going on with some white folks, thanks to shit like this  and this 
So you know, white people as a whole being called/referred to as diseased dogs that should be put down, demons that aren't even born human, being unable to feel empathy, or that the lack of melanin in white skin means that we don't have mental clarity, especially when those sentiments aren't condemned as the racist trash they are, uuuuh, yeah... kind of problematic there.

Kinda .. derailing a little, I apologize for that, but uh. yeah. Just giving you a little head's up.

CaptainYesterday
On 11/16/2017 at 2:14 AM, Skycaptain said:

On a more serious note. 

The admod team have been following this discussion closely, and have taken note of that poll, not least of which is the sheer number of members who have voted. We are debating this issue, and will post intended changes in the near future 

Any update on this?  The other thread is spinning its wheels at this point and I have follow up plans based on the result of my petition.

pook
6 hours ago, CaptainYesterday said:

Any update on this?  The other thread is spinning its wheels at this point and I have follow up plans based on the result of my petition.

Things are still in the discussion phase. 

Una Salus Victus

Come to think of it, there was this one time I got a warning here for saying a certain word. I was not, from what I can remember given any previous foreknowledge of not being able to say it (this was before the banned words list.) The reason given was that it's considered offensive on a continent I never step foot on, regardless of context.

Some things I can understand, in context, such as ones that have obvious racial contexts for example. Other things, (there's another thread here pointing this out) that I can not.