• Announcements

• Kelly

AVENues Holiday Special Edition is now live   08/17/17

The new edition of AVENues is done!   See:        
    • Lady Girl

Ace Community Census   11/06/17

It’s time for the 2017 Ace Community Census!   see:   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/162675-announcing-the-2017-ace-community-census/  
    • Heart

Help fund AVEN's servers!   11/06/17

AVEN is doing its annual fundraiser to raise donations for server costs! See http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/163251-aven-server-fundraiser/ for more details.  
Member44496

Aven banned word poll

should the following words be banned on aven?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Should the word 'dick' be banned?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should the word 'pussy' be banned?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Should the word 'bitch' be banned

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Should the word 'bastard" be banned?

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. Should the word 'cunt' remain banned?

• Yes
    • No

Member44496

Poll for banned word requests, 100% serious please do not delete/nudge/warn

TheAP

44496, I love you, but do we really need another thread about this?

CaptainYesterday

It's impossible to complete this poll, since they are all dependent on one another.  I'm fine with both "dick" and "cunt" being banned, and I'm fine with both not being banned.  I am not fine with only one of them being banned, however.

Member44496
7 minutes ago, TheAP said:

44496, I love you, but do we really need another thread about this?

Probably not but I was just a little curious about what kind of poll results this would get ;)

I have no particular feelings about it in reality

Skycaptain

This is the first time anyone has polled on this subject but remember this isn't a binding poll. 

However, and this is not aimed at the OP of this, or similar threads, but we do have enough threads on broadly the same topic at the moment 

ChillaKilla
1 minute ago, Skycaptain said:

remember this isn't a binding poll. 

Quoting for emphasis

miettaisace

C*nt is rude in the US but its not in Australia and other places so why should we be restricted....dont like it dont use it 

sea-lemon

Solution: ban every word. From now on all communication should be conducted through interpretative dance :P

J. Alfred Prufrock

the asexual emoji network

Lichley

6 minutes ago, J. Alfred Prufrock said:

the asexual emoji network

👉👌👄👅😏😩🍆💦🕳

Still found some problems with that

Polygon

Snao Cone

😇🙈👎🤚📿⛪🛑

Okay, but in all seriousness, I don't think the community majority as measured via poll is an adequate way to establish limitations on acceptable language. This poll may help admods decide, but it's certainly non-binding, and doesn't really prove much for practical purposes.

Polygon

Still, I think it's a better gauge of opinion than the back-and-forth going on in the other thread. A lot of people unwilling to insert themselves into that can more anonymously vote here, so it has its uses. 

CaptainYesterday

As I already said, the results of the poll are not valid, as it does not adequately capture the situation.

Polygon
21 minutes ago, CaptainYesterday said:

As I already said, the results of the poll are not valid, as it does not adequately capture the situation.

Why not make one yourself? 

InquisitivePhilosopher

Looking at other forums' rules about language use and comparing them to AVEN seems helpful to me. This one is similar to AVEN in that it also has many members 13+ and who are from many parts around the world, with different religious or non-religious beliefs. The mods explain that, while they don't censor or block out swear words, they expect others to not use them in an insulting way and to not take it as an opportunity to use them a lot. From what I've seen, very few people use swear words, and when they do, they usually use * symbols to self-censor and block out the word, themselves.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?66315-Newbie-Guide!

But, as some AVEN mods pointed out, AVEN is a charity. So perhaps, allowing swear words might affect the amount of donations, alliances with LGBT+ organizations, etc. AVEN might receive.

CaptainYesterday
5 hours ago, Polygon said:

Why not make one yourself? 

I don't think the forum software can handle the nuance of this situation.  You'd have to have an entry for every single permutation of banned/unbanned for every single word.  It's too complex an issue.

5 hours ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

But, as some AVEN mods pointed out, AVEN is a charity. So perhaps, allowing swear words might affect the amount of donations, alliances with LGBT+ organizations, etc. AVEN might receive.

I would be more likely to donate to AVEN if they didn't support such misandry.  As it stands, I cannot justify giving money to an organization that has a bias against my gender.

Snao Cone

Observation: more members have voted in this poll in the last 8 hours than in the elections so far in the past two days.

CaptainYesterday
5 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

Observation: more members have voted in this poll in the last 8 hours than in the elections so far in the past two days.

A lot of people don't like me and go out of their way to argue against anything that I support.

In exchange for bringing equality to the rules of this forum, I promise to go on an anti-voting campaign, so more people will vote out of spite.

Pramana

Impressive turnout for an AVEN poll. I'm against banned words on account of the context dependency of language, but I don't really care that much about what AVEN does on this matter.

Snao Cone
1 minute ago, CaptainYesterday said:

A lot of people don't like me and go out of their way to argue against anything that I support.

I think it's more because people already have opinions on matters like this, so it's easier for them to decide how to vote. It's also because people flock to drama, whether it's about a specific person or not.

Oh, and perhaps members aren't as inclined to vote for moderators because they don't care as much about who's in these positions, versus having issues to constantly complain about. If they voted they would feel like they're part of the process, and then they'd have to complain about themselves, right? :P

CaptainYesterday
1 minute ago, Snao Cone said:

I think it's more because people already have opinions on matters like this, so it's easier for them to decide how to vote. It's also because people flock to drama, whether it's about a specific person or not.

Oh, and perhaps members aren't as inclined to vote for moderators because they don't care as much about who's in these positions, versus having issues to constantly complain about. If they voted they would feel like they're part of the process, and then they'd have to complain about themselves, right? :P

I usually don't vote for moderators because I don't believe they can actually affect anything.  I can't even get someone to type four letters into a list of words that almost no one even reads in the first place. 

What, exactly, is a moderator going to do when the admins don't care about causes that don't affect them, personally?

TheAP

@AshenPhoenix @Qutenkreepy You guys are male, and might be affected by this issue. Do you have any thoughts on it?

Qutenkreepy
8 minutes ago, TheAP said:

@AshenPhoenix @Qutenkreepy You guys are male, and might be affected by this issue. Do you have any thoughts on it?

Not at this current time.

CaptainYesterday
1 hour ago, TheAP said:

Them being men isn't the thing in question, it's whether or not they care about men's rights.  Caring about men's rights isn't a gender thing.  In fact, most of the prominent, vocal, and passionate supporters of men's rights are women, and most of the prominent, vocal, and passionate people against men's rights are men.  You're only "affected" by this issue if you care about men's rights, which would mean the double standard displayed here really bothers you.

It is my contention that no one in power here cares about men's rights.  If they did, then this wouldn't even be an issue, because the oversight would never have been made in the first place.

Many people here paint me as some sort of misogynist because I support men's rights, but if I were running a forum and deciding on the rules, I would never write a rule that singled out only the words targeting demographics that I felt needed defending, especially when it would be so thinly-veiled as to which ones I defended and which ones I didn't.  I couldn't even imagine writing a rule that banned "dick" and "cock" but not "cunt" and "pussy" in a million years. 

Not only would that be hypocritical, but it would be hypocritical in the most cliche way possible given my stated politics.  Someone supporting men's rights and only caring to list male-focused words - it's too on the nose.  Just as it is when people who are part of the "social justice" camp (which this forum definitely is) disregards men, men's issues, men's opinions, and men's feelings.

As I have said before here, the offense is the hypocrisy.  The hypocrisy from society deciding that only the insults directed at women are taboo, and the hypocrisy from a forum that prides itself on supporting equality doing the same.  The hypocrisy of the rules ignoring social norms in just about every single case except the one when social norms just so happen to be against men.

I'm not going to lie, this whole thing started out...not as a joke, but as something else.  An experiment.  The intentions are true, I really do very much dislike the hypocrisy I see on these forums with regards to various issues; men's issues, conservative issues, etc.  I really would like to see either words that denigrate men added to the list, or the list abolished and a more general "don't use gendered words as insults" rule take over.

So while I genuinely do believe the things I've said, the tactics were supposed to be...illuminating to those who approve of them in wider society.  What were my tactics?

1.  I demanded something be changed that I disagreed with, despite being of a minority opinion in that regard.

2.  I insinuated that anyone who didn't agree with me hated the demographic of people that I belonged to.

3.  I refuted people who provided facts with absolutely no citations of my own.

And maybe I'm jumping the gun here - maybe if I held out longer, I actually would have gotten my way.  But I'll be damned if these tactics didn't get me closer to having people actually listen, care, and consider anything I've ever said about inequality on these forums before.  Why is that?  Why is it that when I tried to guilt people by saying they hated men did they listen more?  There are three active threads, and admins are actually taking this even 5% seriously, which is much more than I've ever gotten before.

These are the tactics that are used against men and "conservatives," both on these forums and in life.  Many of the very same people who vehemently opposed me here - I won't name them, but they know who they are - use and approve of these tactics, again both on these forums and in life.  And yet, they fought against them here.  Why is that?

None of my arguments are changing.  I am not withdrawing my complaints or my petition, though I suppose this will probably be used to dismiss them (and maybe even bring some sort of action against me), so I guess you're welcome for that present if you've been looking for a graceful way to dismiss me this entire time.  It really does bother me that this forum participates in the "things that happen to men aren't as bad as things that happen to other people" mentality that the rest of the world seems to, and I would really like that to change.  But I would also like it if these sorts of tactics didn't have so much power here.  These sorts of tactics and beliefs are, in my opinion, what led to the inequality in the first place.  Vocal minorities complained about certain words, a list needed to be made, and that list was imbalanced because said vocal minority had a certain political agenda that influence precisely which words they complained about.

So yeah, it sucks that some people use your gender and its genitals as an insult, but at least most people care enough about to shame people who do it.

AshenPhoenix
1 hour ago, TheAP said:

I'm confused as to how this is specifically supposed to matter only because I happen to be male Each of these words can apply to both. And indeed, I'd seen them used by and against both sexes IRL :P

Either way, my thoughts are, and always have been, there shouldn't be many banned words that aren't slurs. You should have disciplinary action taken based on context most of the time, not just because you used a certain word. There are, of course, exceptions to that. Notably most slurs. But other than that, one word isn't inherently more vile than another.

daveb
1 hour ago, CaptainYesterday said:

This is one of the funniest things anyone has written in this thread. Get over yourself. It couldn't possibly be because they disagree with some of the things you support.

stuartmcgrath

Why not just have no banned words and have a more outlining rule on using words in a negative way?

TheAP
1 minute ago, AshenPhoenix said:

I'm confused as to how this is specifically supposed to matter only because I happen to be male Each of these words can apply to both. And indeed, I'd seen them used by and against both sexes IRL :P

Because I thought men would be the ones who would be most hurt by the use of dick as an insult, if indeed this is a real concern. I suppose I misunderstood CaptainYesterday's point, though.

@CaptainYesterday: I don't think it's fair of you to say that no one on this forum cares about men's rights just because of this one issue. The ToS prohibits bigotry against both men and women. I rarely hear people say that they don't value men's rights. Just because they don't think this issue is as important as you do, doesn't mean they don't care about men at all.

AshenPhoenix
Just now, TheAP said:

Because I thought men would be the ones who would be most hurt by the use of dick as an insult, if indeed this is a real concern. I suppose I misunderstood CaptainYesterday's point, though.

@CaptainYesterday: I don't think it's fair of you to say that no one on this forum cares about men's rights just because of this one issue. The ToS prohibits bigotry against both men and women. I rarely hear people say that they don't value men's rights. Just because they don't think this issue is as important as you do, doesn't mean they don't care about men at all.

Naw, I happen to really like mine, so that's not a very good insult. That and I suppose it helps I tend to brush off most insults I don't think have much merit. They're all insults in my book. Maybe if you're playing an insult creativity game (a game which gets a surprising amount of use in debate teams), these might be classed as low tier or non-creative ones. But really, that's the only time I see these ones as much different :P 

And for the political record, while I consider myself under the mantle of gender equality more than anything else. I do believe that in general in society it would both benefit everyone to pay more attention to male stigma (especially since getting rid of them simultaneously destroy's a lot of stereotypes towards femininity). So, I guess I could also be called on the spectrum of men's rights activist. Really I'll fight for the equality of anyone in all respects. So, take it or leave it, but there's that.