Libido vs Attraction

ANewAce

So I came out as ace to my mom a few months ago. She seems pretty accepting of it. I also told her I've been depressed for a while too. However, she took this to mean that I'm ace because I'm not interested in anyone since I have depression. She also said it may be because of my hashimotos (being ace). 

I tried telling her that depression affects libido, not attraction and that those two things are different but she doesn't seem to get the difference. I also tried telling her that I was ace before I was depressed too but that didn't work. 

How can I explain this better? 

She probably needs an explanation of the difference between sexual desire and a sex drive. She's probably not trying to be insensitive, she may just really not know the difference.

if libido and attraction were the same, all heterosexuals/homosexuals would have half the sex drive as bisexuals, all bisexuals would always have double the sex drive as hetero/homo, etc which is clearly not the case.  Anyone can find out that nonasexual couples have issues with differing libidos all the time by going outside once

Archived