Does anyone else in a relationship Fantasize about being alone?

Copal_0

I'm in a great relationship with someone I love, but I find myself fantasizing about being alone. I know I'd probably be miserable if I were to live it out. Does anyone else who is in a relationship have these thoughts?

You're definitely not the only person to ponder this. I haven't been in that situation personally (because I've avoided long term relationships due to actually verifiably being happier alone) but I know other people who have. I know people in committed relationships who take occasional alone time (like go on a small vacation without their partner). My mother used to say she wished she could get a sense of what it's like to live as a single person. I think for most people, we wonder if the grass is greener on the other side and our imagination runs with that thought. It doesn't mean it's true to reality, though.

After 6 years of marriage my husband and I spent 8 months apart, in different cities, when we were trying to figure out if we should stay in a relationship or not. There were definitely positives and negatives. But I realized that most of my "wanting to be alone" was more myself wanting to not feel guilty for being in a relationship with someone that wanted sex, and I wasn't giving it to him. The guilt was 100% gone as soon as I was living alone. There were no expectations anymore and it was wonderful. In the end though, we missed each other a lot and we ended up realizing we just needed to communicate better :) So, now we're back together, I don't feel miserable and guilty anymore, and I haven't fantasized about being alone (as much) now. So I think a lot of it depends on the reasons WHY you are wanting to be alone.

I guess I may have made it sound more dower than it is. Before I came out to my partner I think I was was actually wanting more alone time (we live apart but close to each other), then once I let everything out I really felt closer to her. I've had these fantasies since I was kid though and they've manifested themselves in various ways, but they don't upset me or cause me to do anything. 

Why yes. I'm currently in a relationship, but I sometimes wonder whether or not, I really need it. I'm personally emotionally retarded and those emotions need to be processed through my framework of understanding. I really want to be with my partner, but I'm really slow when it comes to emotions.

Archived