Best binder options?

pow_wow

I'm looking for a good quality half binder that won't screw up my back as I have uncorrected scoliosis. Any suggestions?

I got mine from GC2B, and it's great. I've heard good things about Underworks, too, but I don't have any personal experience. Those are the two brands I hear the most positive things about.

999papercranes

From what I've heard from a plethora of binder-users, I second what @Andiamo said. I also want to add- I don't know if you've already checked in with a doctor about if binding is alright for you or not, but just make sure to be very careful! There are binders that are obviously safer than others, but all binding has its risks, even with a gc2b binder- including back pain and rib pain, which may add to the pain you already suffer. I know binding is such a necessary thing to alleviate dysphoria, but I'd hate for you to hurt yourself! <3 If you can, maybe check in with a medical professional to make sure it's okay, or google stories from trans men with scoliosis online.

1 hour ago, Andiamo said:

I got mine from GC2B, and it's great. I've heard good things about Underworks, too, but I don't have any personal experience. Those are the two brands I hear the most positive things about.

Yeah I've heard good things about those two as well but checking out any potential options anyway and thanks for the concern and advice @999papercranes  I'll go do that :)

1 hour ago, 999papercranes said:

There are binders that are obviously safer than others, but all binding has its risks, even with a gc2b binder- including back pain and rib pain, which may add to the pain you already suffer. I know binding is such a necessary thing to alleviate dysphoria, but I'd hate for you to hurt yourself! 

My 15 year old is transgender, and as s/he wanted a binder I recently bought an affordable one from eBay (from China) - so is it likely to be harmful?  I didn't really like the idea of a binder, but didn't know they can actually be that harmful! :o

4 hours ago, Florenna said:

My 15 year old is transgender, and as s/he wanted a binder I recently bought an affordable one from eBay (from China) - so is it likely to be harmful?  I didn't really like the idea of a binder, but didn't know they can actually be that harmful! :o

Yep that sounds like it’d be low quality and from my research I cannot stress enough the importance of a good binder. People can break ribs, cause permanent long term injuries ect. if they use a bad one or even a good one for too long at a time. That said, good quality binders that are used properly (not worn more than 8 hours, right size and so on) shouldn’t be harmful. Just need to be careful :)

999papercranes
4 hours ago, pow_wow said:

Yep that sounds like it’d be low quality and from my research I cannot stress enough the importance of a good binder. People can break ribs, cause permanent long term injuries ect. if they use a bad one or even a good one for too long at a time. That said, good quality binders that are used properly (not worn more than 8 hours, right size and so on) shouldn’t be harmful. Just need to be careful :)

@Florenna I agree with all of this ^

Unfortunately, most cheap binders on Amazon or Ebay are quite harmful. If you can afford one, I'd recommend a gc2b one or an Underworks one. Binding does have its risks, but if you bind safely you can help minimize those risks. 

On 11/14/2017 at 9:19 PM, pow_wow said:

On 11/15/2017 at 1:57 AM, 999papercranes said:

@Florenna I agree with all of this ^

Unfortunately, most cheap binders on Amazon or Ebay are quite harmful. If you can afford one, I'd recommend a gc2b one or an Underworks one. Binding does have its risks, but if you bind safely you can help minimize those risks. 

Thanks to you both! I'll make sure to relate that info to my teen; s/he was so happy to finally get a proper binder (used sports bras until now), and now I'm going to be the party pooper, I'm afraid, but can't be helped! 

Archived