• Announcements

• Kelly

AVENues Holiday Special Edition is now live   08/17/17

The new edition of AVENues is done!   See:        
    • Lady Girl

Ace Community Census   11/06/17

It’s time for the 2017 Ace Community Census!   see:   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/162675-announcing-the-2017-ace-community-census/  
    • Heart

Help fund AVEN's servers!   11/06/17

AVEN is doing its annual fundraiser to raise donations for server costs! See http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/163251-aven-server-fundraiser/ for more details.  
CaptainYesterday

Formal petition to add "dick" to the list of banned words

Polygon
21 minutes ago, CaptainYesterday said:

How does "cunt" negatively affect women?

Hmm. Good point. Should have clarified "users". You're going to get more of a negative impact from users using the C word than "dick". My bad. People that run websites hate negative impacts, they try to minimize them. Maximize users, minimize shitshows.   

23 minutes ago, CaptainYesterday said:

How many women would admit to feeling discriminated against before Feminism? 

Maybe the women that ended up forming the movement in the first place? Those movements don't come out of nowhere, you know. 

25 minutes ago, CaptainYesterday said:

And I disagree.

Fair enough. 

26 minutes ago, CaptainYesterday said:

So all rules should be voted on, and majority wins?

Well, it could certainly be worse than that. That's more or less what happens with most sites, though it's typically mods/admins voting on the policies, but user feedback is taken into account. If you have a better alternative that can be practically done I'd be delighted to hear it. Seeing as this is a website, what is preferred by most users is of significance since it's in the site's best interest to generally follow majority demographic interests. Though tbh, whether D was banned alongside C, or if C were uncensored along with D, I doubt most people would care enough one way or the other to leave the site. 

27 minutes ago, CaptainYesterday said:

Consistency.  If it's not okay to use a word that denigrates women, then it shouldn't be okay to use a word that denigrates men, no matter how many people feel that it's okay to denigrate men.

This is difficult, since the consistency you see I don't see. I could well be biased, but so could you. The disagreement's so fundamental that this isn't much more than a back-and-forth of "I think it's x" and "I think it's y". I respect your stance, though, and if you feel it's worth fighting for then you're doing the right thing. 

Juno_L

Honestly, this analogy probably won't change anyone's mind, but I still think it is an important point to make.

Image result for feminism cupcake

I feel like arguing for banning of words that could be considered derogatory to men is like asking for the cherry on top.

stuartmcgrath
4 minutes ago, Juno_L said:

Honestly, this analogy probably won't change anyone's mind, but I still think it is an important point to make.

Image result for feminism cupcake

I feel like arguing for banning of words that could be considered derogatory to men is like asking for the cherry on top.

you should aim for a better analogy, you make it sound like men have it so great and women have it like shit when that's not true at all, in the eye of the law for example women have it much better off

Juno_L
18 minutes ago, stuartmcgrath said:

you should aim for a better analogy, you make it sound like men have it so great and women have it like shit when that's not true at all, in the eye of the law for example women have it much better off

It might not be the best analogy. I didn't write it, just saw it elsewhere on the internet and found it to be relevant. Plus, I would say that it is definitely debatable weather women have it better in places like the law. Not a debate I want to have, just pointing out that it is debatable. (Also, I'm from a different country than you, so laws are likely different)

CaptainYesterday
30 minutes ago, Juno_L said:

No, this is not accurate at all.  This attempts to silence and invalidate men's issues by presenting them as having none, or having it better.

Everyone has issues.  Please don't invalidate men's issues with prejudiced  ideas like this.

Feys&Florets

Can we just unfilter the C word instead? If it's what I think it is (clam?) then that's also a shellfish.

I mean...I honestly don't want to see 'dick' get filtered becaaaause...

...I'm a huge Batman fan and Dick Grayson is my favorite character.

>.>;

Edit: Okay, so it's not clam. What word is it...?

stuartmcgrath
6 minutes ago, Feys&Florets said:

(clam?)

its the word cake which stands for

cunts

are

killing

eskimos

hope this helped 

Feys&Florets
56 minutes ago, stuartmcgrath said:

cunts

are

killing

eskimos

hope this helped 

Nnnnope. That...didn't help really.

Oh well, it's cool. not important.

m4rble
2 minutes ago, Feys&Florets said:
59 minutes ago, stuartmcgrath said:

cunts

are

killing

eskimos

hope this helped 

Nnnnope. That...didn't help really.

Oh well, it's cool. not important.

That's the c word we're talking about. 

Feys&Florets
Just now, m4rble said:

That's the c word we're talking about. 

But it's not asterisked out.

I'm missing something very obvious aren't I?

m4rble
Just now, Feys&Florets said:

Nope.

Kisa the Cat

This is going to sound weird but I agree and have agreed about this even when I was an admod.  This is a sexist double standard and I never was comfortable enforcing it.  Every time I'd bring it up in admods they'd always come up with some reason why it was okay though.

stuartmcgrath
1 minute ago, Kisa the Cat said:

This is going to sound weird (especially given my past with CY) but I agree and have agreed about this even when I was an admod.  This is a sexist double standard and I never was comfortable enforcing it.  Every time I'd bring it up in admods they'd always come up with some reason why it was okay though.

what would you suggest the best way to get rid of the double standard be? 

Kisa the Cat

Honestly I don't think we should have a banned word list.  I've been against that since the list came out.  Context matters.

For example I can say "this is a pineapple" and that's okay but if I say "you're a pineapple" then I'm probably insulting you (I may not be doing it well but it's probably an insult).  It can just be covered under insults and discriminatory remarks.

Una Salus Victus

I find the first few pages going from interesting to tiring. It seems people were complaining more that CY brought this out, rather than his pointing out of something somewhat hypocritical.

I see it in a context thing as well. Dick can be used as slang for penis, or it can be used as insult. The similar sort of thing for the C word, but on top of that gets used as a compliment/term of endearment. One is acceptable, one can be hazy, and in places like this can get a bit of uproar with a side of victim complex.

stuartmcgrath

@CaptainYesterday I'm curious as to why you have such a strong opinion on theses words. you seem to have very strong feelings towards the double standards and I'm curious if they stem from somewhere or it's just that you see it as a fight for equality or something along the lines of that.

(i agree with some of the things you say but not all)

Juno_L
9 hours ago, Feys&Florets said:

AVEN doesn't have a filter that stops you from posting certain words, it is a list of words that mods are likely to give you a nudge/warn/however-that-works if you use them, especially in a derogatory way. As people are using most of these words in an analytical way (discussing why a word is on the list, etc.) in this thread, it does not violate ToS.

m4rble
On 11/13/2017 at 8:41 PM, TheSmokingSkellie said:

why you gotta hate on dick van dyke

Aven is invading my dreams, I dreamed about Dick Van Dyke last night. 

iff

When I see the word dick, 2 things come to me.

There is the character in Charles dickens' David Copperfield, Mr. Dick, a really likeable good character. I was quite fond of him reading it.

The other that comes to mind is a person by the name of dick. Whenever I've dealt with him, he is very likeable and an affable person. It is a pleasure to deal with him.

I don't think dick should be added to the ban word list, for one thing it would stop discussion of david Copperfield. 

Skycaptain

*sitting on the sofa watching  "Carry on Dick" *:P:P

Feys&Florets
5 hours ago, Juno_L said:

AVEN doesn't have a filter that stops you from posting certain words, it is a list of words that mods are likely to give you a nudge/warn/however-that-works if you use them, especially in a derogatory way. As people are using most of these words in an analytical way (discussing why a word is on the list, etc.) in this thread, it does not violate ToS.

Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining that.

timewarp
15 hours ago, Kisa the Cat said:

For example I can say "this is a pineapple" and that's okay but if I say "you're a pineapple" then I'm probably insulting you (I may not be doing it well but it's probably an insult).  It can just be covered under insults and discriminatory remarks.

I can confirm that I'm actually a pineapple. Do you have a problem with that? :o

https://cdn.vectorstock.com/i/thumb-large/53/86/scared-pineapple-face-cute-cartoon-emoji-vector-14925386.jpg

Ciri
2 minutes ago, timewarp said:

I can confirm that I'm actually a pineapple. Do you have a problem with that? :o

https://cdn.vectorstock.com/i/thumb-large/53/86/scared-pineapple-face-cute-cartoon-emoji-vector-14925386.jpg

Sorry, not sorry!

m4rble
49 minutes ago, Ciri said:

Sorry, not sorry!

It must be weird to be hired to dress like a giant fruit and pretend to play an instrument. 

CaptainYesterday
15 hours ago, stuartmcgrath said:

@CaptainYesterday I'm curious as to why you have such a strong opinion on theses words. you seem to have very strong feelings towards the double standards and I'm curious if they stem from somewhere or it's just that you see it as a fight for equality or something along the lines of that.

I have very strong feelings for the erasure of men's issues, and the lack of empathy given to men.  Both in society as well on these forums.  I often feel extremely helpless, seeing so many people in power completely ignore and denigrate men as a group.  As a random anecdote, I just saw an actor on a show that I really rely on for escapism come out with "all men are privileged rapists" rhetoric, and it really killed me.  Another actor I like was pressured to retract his statement that "men face sexism too."  It's really very sad.

One thing that people often don't understand is that there is no institutional power for men.  People see "old white men" on the Right in power and think "well, that's men in power, so men must be doing great" but that couldn't be farther from the truth.  Men simply don't try to uplift other men when they obtain power, at least not to the same degree that women do.  Men uplift themselves and anyone else who can help them get more power, not men as a class.  You will find very few male politicians (I know of one - Phillip Davies in the UK) that explicitly stands for men's rights. 

Conservative men don't care for men's rights, and often stand against them, because men's rights run antithetical to the historical male gender role, which Conservatives support.  Men are supposed to provide and die for women - that's actually what most Conservative men believe.  It is no wonder, then, why men simply do not see their issues taken seriously or addressed, because literally no one cares.  You won't find a politician on the Right trying to give voice to men's issues, because to them, men should simply "man up."  And you won't see anyone on the Left doing it, because to them, men are the privileged class and face absolutely no issues worth addressing.

Everything I enjoy is mired in politics that says all men are evil and men have no issues, video games, comics, television, movies.  And I come back to these forums only to be reminded of why I left - because even here, in one of these "SJW gender critical safe space hug box alternative sexuality" websites, still no one cares.  There is an extremely blatant double standard and no one cares.

I have strong feelings about this because no one else does.  Whatever your politics are, most likely you have a home somewhere.  Conservatives and Liberals, that's easy.  There's plenty of major outlets for those.  Feminists?  Innumerable politicians, foundations, communities, celebrities, you name it.  Gay and trans people?  Covered by feminism.

No one gives a shit about men's rights, and the only spaces that do exist are often slandered as "misogynists" and "white supremacists" by people with actual institutional power.

pook

It's entirely possible to care about men's rights and to disagree with you about how bad the word dick is. 

Out of all the issues men face, and they absolutely do exist, the word dick is not one of them. 

Like, if you wanted to find a word to be your soapbox for the plight of men, you could have at least used cock. 

Telecaster68

if you wanted to find a word to be your soapbox for the plight of men, you could have at least used cock. 

I'm putting that on a t-shirt. 

CaptainYesterday
5 minutes ago, pook said:

It's entirely possible to care about men's rights and to disagree with you about how bad the word dick is. 

It's not about the word, it's about the double standard.  If you don't care about the double standard, then I don't think you can truly care about men's rights.  This issue is basically a microcosm for the entire men's rights movement, it signifies the main issue that is the foundation of men's rights: lack of empathy, lack of attention, blindness to double standards only when they harm men, etc.

Out of all the issues men face, and they absolutely do exist, the word dick is not one of them. 

Out of all the issues that this forum perpetuates and can fix, it is one of them.  I wouldn't go in front of the United Nations with this one, but this is not the United Nations.

Like, if you wanted to find a word to be your soapbox for the plight of men, you could have at least used cock. 

Or prick.  There are a lot of them, for both genders.  And still, people only care about ones that affect women.

Yato

I think Prick is more akin to the C-word tbh.

Dick, not so much. But I totally agree with the reasoning behind it as I see it the same way.

PS: lets ban weeb while we are at it. It's being constantly used to shut down conversations related to Japanese anything.

CaptainYesterday
3 minutes ago, Yato said:

I think Prick is more akin to the C-word tbh.

I'll take any indication that this forum doesn't completely invalidate men at this point.