How Do I Explain Coming Out As Asexual?

Jax Nikara

Hey so.... every time I tell someone who isn't super close to me about my asexuality, they question why I haven't told my parents. They keep saying stuff like "It's not like you are coming out as gay or something, you just aren't having sex ever." I'm not sure how to explain that coming out would still be hard...

• Like 1

Asexuals experience quite a bit of discrimination though, and a lot of people don't realise that.

Also, for instance, neither of my parents are okay with me being asexual. I mean, my dad kind of is, but I think he prefers to think of it as celibacy. He said that it's okay if I don't have sex, but he doesn't think I should call myself asexual. My mom is definitely uncomfortable with it and insists that I will grow out of it.

• Like 1

I think the biggest issue is that people won't believe it or will try to "cure" it.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Ankh-Morpork said:

or will try to "cure" it.

I CANNOT BE CURED :lol:

Sorry, this is a serious topic, I'll stop.

• Like 1
Just now, Hazel_Elise said:

I CANNOT BE CURED :lol:

Sorry, this is a serious topic, I'll stop.

A bit of humour is always good, even with the serious topics.

• Like 2

Just say, "But what about GRAAANDKIIIIDSSS!!! I want grandkids! OMG, gimme dem grandkids, like, right now! PLEASE, please, pleasepleasepleaseplease PUH-LEASE!!!" In a really loud, annoying, whiny voice. They'll get the idea. That's just one of many possible reasons why one might not want to come out as asexual to one's parents, especially if they're already a little pushy about wanting grandkids. 

• Like 4
Just now, Planet Ace said:

Just say, "But what about GRAAANDKIIIIDSSS!!! I want grandkids! OMG, gimme dem grandkids, like, right now! PLEASE, please, pleasepleasepleaseplease PUH-LEASE!!!" In a really loud, annoying, whiny voice. They'll get the idea. That's just one of many possible reasons why one might not want to come out as asexual to one's parents, especially if they're already a little pushy wanting grandkids. 

Truuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuue

• Like 2