Since when and how did you know about Sexual Attraction?

Since when did you know the existence of sexual attraction?

I did not even know it existed. I'm sure that's like common sense to people but to me, it's not XD

I found out just right after i found AVEN.

I mean i lowkey knew that there was some attraction before they do "that" but i didn't know that they did "that" because they were attracted to each other in "that" way. I just thought they wanted it. And when i do think that they're having sex. I don't exactly imagine the scene because i actually don't know what it is and how they do that. I just know that there's something going on that i don't know. So yeah, thanks to AVEN for shedding a light on this topic. I'm curious about how you guys knew that sexual attraction existed 👀 I only found out when i was 15.

• Like 1

At sleep-away camp I used to make up stories at night to tell my best friend while we were trying to fall asleep and one night I made up a story that had a sort of graphic romantic plot and it was dark in the cabin but I noticed that she was, um, touching herself and she asked me if the story made a certain body part of mine feel tingly and that was how I figured out why everyone else was obsessed with the couple of Judy Blume books that had explicit content.

• Like 1

Sexual attraction is a theoretical construct. I read several peer-reviewed articles before I got a (still superficial) grasp of what it actually means. If you dig deep enough you will find that there are two different meanings of sexual attraction, one physiological, that only really makes sense when applied to bio-males, and another more vague one that is not very different from sexual desire. And it's the latter that is usually being used in the context of asexuality, so it's even possible to describe it regardless of the anatomy involved.

That said, I view the concept of sexual attraction similar to Fourier transforms or Taylor series. It's a construct that helps you see things in a new way at the cost of actually understanding what it all means. :D

• Like 2

Hey, they're hot "Yeah they're pretty cute" No, like hot. Like you want to have sex with them. "Wait... hot doesn't mean cute?"

• Like 4

I think I learnd 6 months ago from a guy friend who was talking aout freshman boys.

I was like,"wait, people actually want to do that with random peeps they look at?"

• Like 1

In a way I always knew. I mean, the media and all taught me pretty well, but not exactly right - I just didn't know how it really works. I understood it better 2-3 years ago, when I discovered asexuality on the internet. Earlier I thought that for the most people it works like this: two people really need to know each other for some time to develop sexual desire and attraction. I thought that the rest is just weird and hypersexual, manipulated by media / social pressure, or something like that.

• Like 2

When I was 11 I read a fan fiction about a straight couple and I found out about sexual attraction, I was in shock at first but then I realized this is the “normal” way for them.

• Like 1
Galactic Turtle

In my small bubble of a world I thought it meant thinking someone of the opposite sex was good looking and the wanting to kiss/hold hands/have sex with them part only happened when you were older. In high school when people talked about having sex I thought they were lying to sound cool. In college I was like "Are people having sex already? Aren't we kind of too young for that?"

Joke's on me it seems lol.

• Like 3
drjohnhwatson

Since I was a kid, probably.  I mean, it's not hard to see it in media of some sort.  I definitely remember reading fantasy books with sexual scenes in it (books I borrowed from my grandfather, who is a big fantasy/sci-fi nut).

In regards to me, personally, I never really thought much on it, and then whenever I would get crushes and stuff on people I would just sort of say "OK, that sexual attraction is gonna kick in any time now" and it just...never did.  Sometimes in school I would purposely daydream about crushes and try to daydream into a sexual area but it never worked.  I could imagine holding their hand or cuddling and then it would just stop or fade out.

Then I just assumed I was a late-bloomer until I found out about asexuality.

And here I am today.

:lol:.

• Like 2