• Announcements

• Kelly

AVENues Holiday Special Edition is now live   08/17/17

The new edition of AVENues is done!   See:        
    • Lady Girl

Ace Community Census   11/06/17

It’s time for the 2017 Ace Community Census!   see:   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/162675-announcing-the-2017-ace-community-census/  
    • Heart

Help fund AVEN's servers!   11/06/17

AVEN is doing its annual fundraiser to raise donations for server costs! See http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/163251-aven-server-fundraiser/ for more details.  
Kai99

"Donation" rule clarity

Kai99

So I just had a thread deleted for violating the donation rule. Now, I was not asking for a donation, but simply advertising a service on Off Topic section. This one to be exact. 

Christmas_mini_mees.jpg

I made sure to check the rules to see if it would be okay and I saw nothing that said I couldn't. But apparently the donation rule is banning advertising of any kind. There needs to be some clarity of that on the rules.

Now I understand that advertisement can be obnoxious for a forum, but why not a section for working asexuals to advertise their service, or at least what the mod suggested when I was talking to him, allowed for members who are obviously not a bot?

pook

When it comes to trying to get money on AVEN, always ask first. 

Puck

Hmmm. I had no part in the decision to take this down (that would be the mod of the forum) but my guess is that it wouldn't be considered a donation, rather advertising, which we usually don't allow thanks to our spamming rule. Especially if no staff was asked if the advertisement was allowed.

There is a section where asexuals can show their art and other such works though, it's the Open Mic forum.

Because we are a charity which is aimed at promoting visibility and education, we are very careful about places where people ask for money/advertise for services.

I do think finding ways to build up the community by supporting asexuals in their businesses is a good idea, but AVEN and it's goals needs to be respected when doing it.

For the record, I have commissioned art from an artist I met here on AVEN, and they did an awesome job :P They didn't advertise on here, I just liked what they did and requested something from them.

Yato

I agree that the clause is poorly worded. I think commissions should be ok in places like Open Mic as well. But yes, it's difficult to manage. 

If anything, we can have an approval system for Open Mic. I don't see that being an issue. We do it for survey requests, why not commission posts?

That's just my thoughts.

timewarp

So, to give another example, if a fast-food chain want to advertise their burgers on here, should we allow it? I clearly and decidedly don't think so.

Kai99

When it comes to trying to get money on AVEN, always ask first.

In hindsight, yes, but that is why I checked the rules first. If there was nothing forbidding it,  I did not think it was necessary to asked.  I seek the answer first on my own and when I read nothing against it, I went ahead with it. I wasn't asking for a donation, but simply advertising my service.

Because we are a charity which is aimed at promoting visibility and education, we are very careful about places where people ask for money/advertise for services.

I do think finding ways to build up the community by supporting asexuals in their businesses is a good idea, but AVEN and it's goals needs to be respected when doing it.

I completely understand respecting AVEN's goals. I do hope there can be some leeway for members somewhere where they can advertise their service. If not, that is fine.

So, to give another example, if a fast-food chain want to advertise their burgers on here, should we allow it? I clearly and decidedly don't think so.

I'm not saying to accept every advertisement, but if certain members here offer a service, why not? Hell, I can see having a post limit where advertising is only allowed for members who've posted a certain number of times so that that member is obviously not using the forum as simply free advertising and nothing more. If advertising is completely a no-go, than say it clearly in the rules. I'll completely respect that. If I need simply to ask permission first, than have it stated in the rules.

ThaHoward

Donate money to me while you're at it :D

Yato

I think if the person is a member of the community, and wants to offer wares in the form of commission/links to merchandise, they should be able to. Just only if it's just that individual's merch. So no companies, or corporations etc. 

Perhaps offer a cheap merch licence for like a dollar, that lasts a specific time period? Allowing a member to post merch in the designated area. (God knows how many times I've been asked where to buy black rings and flags). Then those licence funds can go to maintaining AVEN's servers or something.

Another option is to run a store forum, where people post AVEN merch, or community offers. Perhaps an Open Mic subforum?

timewarp

I'm not against free services (and I mean without terms and conditions, just plain free). But a commercial activity is a commercial activity is a commercial activity.

Skycaptain

With the proviso that the site owner had the ultimate decision, I can see merit in debating what asexulity related products can or cannot be offered for sale, whether for personal gains, profits given to AVEN or at cost only. 

daveb

My opinion is that just as some of us (myself included) don't want AVEN to be a dating site I don't want it to be a commerce site either. Both can also be problematic from the standpoint of running AVEN. Anyone who has been around knows the reasons why AVEN can't be a dating site, without making some fundamental changes (such as changing age restrictions). I don't know if allowing commerce would or could be an issue for the site's status as a non-profit organization. In any event, I'd rather not have ads popping up (I'm including things like the static image, or even just written posts advertising goods or services). Open mic is fine, people post examples of things they do and things they create, but don't advertise their services. Of course, members are free to contact each other (but hopefully aren't spamming people with advertisements) and ask if they can buy things or ask if they can commission them to create things.

If AVEN wants to go the route of letting members offer goods and services then I hope it would be in the form of a separate "market" that doesn't include all the ads in with the forum posts, and therefore wouldn't get shown in any forum listings or listings of unread posts, etc. That way, at least, people who weren't interested could easily avoid ads.

Janus DarkFox

It's advertising your own business, it's just that simple as that which may go against a non-profits scope.  This is selling Art commissions, this is done a lot on Facebook, because Facebook is an open social platform, many can sell anything there now with it's Marketplace section.  Other places like DevientArt is built towards these goals and have other options supplementing such commissions, or even take a small cut of the commission in exchange of other services as a for profit corporate business model.

An potential exception if such commissionary art is fully done for a non-profits gain or good causes, like such art commissions are AVEN or Asexuality related and all proceeds are donated to such non-profits or goes toward a listed registered charity of such a non-profits choice.  The law in the US and around the world will have different regulations.

Skycaptain

In the interim, we have taken on board comments about the lack of clarity in this particular ToS clause. This is being reviewed with the intention to rewrite it in a clearer, more complete manner as we speak.