Coming out reactions

Alexandra Kale

Alexandra Kale

Some people can realise that I was posting it before, but it was in the wrong forum, so I'm bringing it up here. Anyway sometimes I think about coming out to my friends (at least some of them), but even when I try to make a good moment to do it (like I'm meeting them after school or something), it doesn't work. We are talking about normal topics like school, TV shows or anything else and I can't find a right moment to come out. Or when I feel like "That's it", there are lots of people around. I'm also kinda afraid of their reaction, when I know it wouldn't be that bad (like it's some stupid kind of anxiety).

So I wanted to ask how did you come out. What was the situation when you did it? (Like where were you? How did you brough it up? And that kind of stuff.) What was people' reaction when you did. Even those bad, because I want to know what can I get or think if my friends would possibly say it.

I hope that you'll answer and help me. It might be not much, but it would mean a lot for me

Just now, Alexandra Kale said:

Some people can realise that I was posting it before, but it was in the wrong forum, so I'm bringing it up here. Anyway sometimes I think about coming out to my friends (at least some of them), but even when I try to make a good moment to do it (like I'm meeting them after school or something), it doesn't work. We are talking about normal topics like school, TV shows or anything else and I can't find a right moment to come out. Or when I feel like "That's it", there are lots of people around. I'm also kinda afraid of their reaction, when I know it wouldn't be that bad (like it's some stupid kind of anxiety).

So I wanted to ask how did you come out. What was the situation when you did it? (Like where were you? How did you brough it up? And that kind of stuff.) What was people' reaction when you did. Even those bad, because I want to know what can I get or think if my friends would possibly say it.

I hope that you'll answer and help me. It might be not much, but it would mean a lot for me

I literally just said I was asexual, while being ready to explain in case there was any confusion, and there wasn’t, they knew exactly what it meant! Although, another time, the reaction was well intentioned, but not cool, but they gradually became more accepting.

• Like 1

I was kinda lucky. My sister asked me if I'm asexual so I just had to say yes. She's very accepting, didn't say anything wrong and just asked some questions about my experiences and how I'm handling it. (And if it's okay to tell it her friends.)

Besides that I only came out to one single person who isn't asexual theirself (one of my closest friends). He basically just said "ah, ok, to each their own" which is okay for me, too. (because I know he means it.)

With my other friends it's just a topic that never comes up and I don't think that it's imprtant to tell them. I don't have to pretend, we just never ask each other about our sex lifes. It's nothing that's important for our friendship. (Some of them talk about their own sex life, but they don't expect others to do the same.)

I don't plan to out myself to my mother, though, because I don't think that she'll react very well.

• Like 1

When I first read about Asexuality, I immediately told my sister (we're sharing a room) because I was so excited. She just said "Yup, sounds like you."

After that I told two of my friends. I was looking for purple nail polish and they asked what it was for, so I mentioned AAW. One didn't know what Asexuality was but accepted the explanation and the other one was like "I knew that (about you)."

Then there is my mom. I brought it up while we were cooking together. First she confused Asexuality with Agender. Then, after a lengthy explanation, she said I would find someone someday, it took her a while as well, and I shouldn't be too fixated on being ace, because it would change over time.

The rest of my friends learned about it when I posted a status about being ace on Whatsapp at the beginning of AAW. That was maybe a bit cowardly, but it got the job done without direct confrontations. All in all they don't seem to be bothered by it, which could be because quite a few of them are LGBT or questioning as well.

Good luck with your coming out, whatever you decide to do.:cake:

• Like 2

I will never forget my parent's reactions...

"Oh! That explains everything!"

:D 

• Like 2
Alexandra Kale
5 hours ago, Feys&Florets said:

I will never forget my parent's reactions...

"Oh! That explains everything!"

:D 

I think it's the best reaction, I've heard about :D

• Like 1