did you ever catch a real gender like a, like a

Prufrock, but like, worse

Prufrock, but like, worse

While arguing last week with my Token Online Australian Friend about why humans should become Daleks (hint: it's because I lack the motivation to do coursework I don't enjoy and am so lazy that I can't kill myself and must instead beg for someone else to do it) the following sentence fell out:

Have you ever had to have the "am I weird enough to call myself one of the New Genders, or am I on the side of the line that I have to hate myself for wanting to say that I feel things and judge myself against Bruce Wayne?" conversation?

I realize I've had to have this conversation since I was 12 and some shitstain said I was gay for using the rainbow gradient in PowerPoint once (?) and I've absolutely had to have this conversation since I was 16 and read Nineteen Minutes and realized that I was basically Peter and my failure to be a Sports Bro meant that the progressive, sensitive, enlightened way to deal with me is to treat me like a potential murderer. This has basically colored my entire view of human interaction a deep shade of Creeper blue. This is where I got the sense that I am asexual, because viewed through this lens sex is obviously garbage, but never mind that, I can tell the story of How I Came To Invade Asexual Spaces And Now I Want To Know How Best To Self Flagellate For It later and elsewhere. I had to have this conversation at 18 when I read How to Read Literature Like A Professor (review: avoid, useless) which seemed oddly bogged down in strict genders, and something about how a "potent male" (I here interpreted potent as strong rather than fertile) is needed to renew shit and anyone who gets in the way (e.g. isn't a buff grunty emotionless caveman) ought to be killed off by falling trees (?) and this is from someone PROGRESSIVE in a PROGRESSIVE FIELD so there is no hope to escape being Failed Man Who Hates Athletics.

I have to have that conversation, but I have never HAD that conversation, and I'm not sure I have the capacity to have that conversation because I consider both traditional and progressive conceptions of gender to be total poppycock. But perhaps it's just always been explained to me in Party Line Phrasing and what I need is someone with the courage to say the same idea in a different way, one that my Evil White Penis-Haver brain can parse.

Also, it's the current year, and people have been complaining about too-strict gender norms since the beginning of time, so how have we not just stuck all the role-enforcers in blenders at some point in the intervening millennia and been done with it? It seems like such a simple solution to implement.

Am I weird enough to call myself one of the New Genders, or am I on the side of the line that I have to hate myself for wanting to say that I feel things and judge myself against Bruce Wayne?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived