Independent - Former asexual person reveals experiences

scarletlatitude

scarletlatitude

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/asexual-person-partners-doctor-fixed-sexual-urges-attraction-lgbtq-a7966596.html

19 October 2017

The author does a lot of explaining what asexuality is, and how their "former asexual person" views their orientations. 

The stigma

Whilst trans and homosexual issues have arguably been less stigmatised thanks to frequent figments in the cultural zeitgeist - several transgender models walked the runways at New York Fashion Week, for example - Price believes that an overriding stigma remains attached to asexuality.

Whether it's due to ignorance or fundamental misunderstanding, Price explained that they have witnessed a lot of the stigma first hand, explaining that people accused them of faking their own identity and not understanding their own desires.

“Partners saw me as broken - some literally pushed me to go to the doctor to get 'fixed'.

“I was seen as less attractive and as less of a full, healthy person because of my asexuality."

Feeling excluded from the LGBTQ community is something many asexual people also feel, explained Price.

Though some refer to the community as LGBTQIA, which includes intersex and asexual, it is the less commonly used acronym.

“I frequently hear other LGBTQ people saying that asexual people don't belong in the community, don't experience oppression, and are basically straight people seeking community resources.

“That exclusionary attitude is really hurtful and isolating, I think, and is another layer to the stigma.

“It's true that asexual people don't experience the same types of danger that gay or bi people do, or that trans people do, but being told you're broken, being forced into relationships/sexual encounters you don't want, and never being believed when you share your identity with somebody is still an oppressive experience.” 

Whilst in the past, Price has publicly identified as asexual, they now see themselves as non-binary, and has requested to be referred to in exclusively they/them pronouns.

Wtf!!!!!! :o

Could as well have said "Whilst in the past, Price liked peanut butter sandwiches for breakfast, they now work as an engineer."

It appears to have been poor phrasing which threw me off as well. It was much later clarified (three sections furthur, under "Where does it come from?" )

Archived