• Announcements

• Kelly

AVENues Holiday Special Edition is now live   08/17/17

The new edition of AVENues is done!   See:        
    • Lady Girl

Ace Community Census   11/06/17

It’s time for the 2017 Ace Community Census!   see:   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/162675-announcing-the-2017-ace-community-census/  
    • Heart

Help fund AVEN's servers!   11/06/17

AVEN is doing its annual fundraiser to raise donations for server costs! See http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/163251-aven-server-fundraiser/ for more details.  
scarletlatitude

Huff Post - "‘A’ Is For Asexual: Erasing The Asexual Orientation"

scarletlatitude

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/a-is-for-asexual-erasing-the-asexual-orientation_us_59454b7be4b024b7e0df4c75

17 June 2017

A few months ago I went to see my gynecologist. I am a successful, professional woman in my mid-30’s. I am taken seriously by my peers. But when I told her I am Asexual, her initial response was a big, hearty laugh!

When I told her I was serious, that it was a real orientation, she grew stern immediately. “Would you like me to sign you up for therapy?”

To recap: A doctor who spent at least 8 years studying women’s sex organs laughed at me when I told her I was Asexual ― then asked if I needed therapy. This lack of education shouldn’t be so pervasive.

I’m sick of being erased by society at-large, but particularly by the LGBTQIA+ community. Since I’d never heard of the term “Asexual” or met another person like me, the only other solution offered to me was that I was either a repressed lesbian or broken.

argar

Thank you for sharing.

I found it interesting and informative.

At this point in my life though I am not really interested in being part of the LGBT.

She did make a good point about younger people needed the support, but I  think AVEN does a better job addressing their needs than the LGBT.

That's just my opinion though.

Crazy Cat Lady

Great article! Thank you for sharing.

I would also like to see the A represent Asexual, at least to let people know there is such a thing! I'm in my mid-40s and had no idea until 7 years ago. For a long time, I thought something was wrong with me.

thylacine

The gyno sounds like a raving idiot.  Where the f--- did that doctor get his/her/its medical degree?  On the internet?

Edited by thylacine
to add more sarcasm

Hermit Advocate
On 11/13/2017 at 6:42 PM, thylacine said:

The gyno sounds like a raving idiot.  Where the f--- did that doctor get his/her/its medical degree?  On the internet?

Probably. Maybe she attended Trump's failed college?