Do you think there is any correlation between asexuality and intelligence?

WhatEverDontCare

WhatEverDontCare

Maybe it's a stupid question, but does anyone else feel like asexuals tend to be more rational and therefore more intelligent? Does anyone know if there is a real correlation?

None whatsoever. And if there were, asexuality would most likely not be the "link". Trying to link intelligence to particular groups of people is messy and inaccurate business. 

• Like 7

There are different types of intelligence, and there is approx. 1% of the population that does not feel sexual attraction. It's hard to tell, let alone get decent statistics. I'm pretty sure orientation doesn't have much to do with intelligence, either.

About types of intelligence, Someone may have book smarts but low emotional intelligence and interpritation of facial expressions. Some may have musical and artistic abilities but less practical skills. Some may have low visual learning but may be capable of great understanding of the world, it's all perspective.

• Like 6

I don't think there would be any link at all, personally speaking. Whether someone is sexual or asexual, intelligence can be measured in all sorts of ways- there is not just one type of intelligence, nor would I believe that one's sexual orientation would have much, if any, of an effect on them. The human brain is a fascinating place that is developed through all sorts of things nature and nurture.

As for the famously intelligent who seem to have issues with certain emotional areas, this could just be that their particular focus is on gathering more information specifically and not developing social skills among other factors. It's a habit of extremely active minds. Just because one might not understand a certain emotional area, however, doesn't make them more rational than the next person. Perhaps they have more time to think about other things, or one might choose to utilize this in a completely different way.

In short, they could have great Mathematical/Logical intelligence but terrible Interpersonal intelligence. Does this make them more 'rational' or intelligent? That is a matter of opinion, but for me it does not.

Overall I wouldn't peg asexuals as more rational than any regular person or group, I think it just depends on the individual. You could have a completely irrational ace and a very rational sexual, or vice versa. 

(To clarify, 'Logical' to me means concrete knowledge of facts. Though synonymous with 'Rational,' I peg the second term to have a connotation of mental soundness of sorts.)

• Like 3

Wouldn't it mean that majority of people with highest IQs would be asexual? As we know, that's not case. It would be similar to saying that majority of people with higher IQs are introverted, while it might not be the case (they just could be more 'picky' when it comes to people they bond with).

More intelligent and more rational? Well put it this way, if you're trying to prove that theory you'd better leave me out of your sample data. :)

IQ tests have kind of been proven to be a sham. There is no way to accurately measure a social construct such as intelligence - there's tons of different types of "intelligence" or, rather, abilities that some people have and some don't. Every human being is equal and you can't base their worth on anything, let alone "intelligence". It is an inherently ableist idea. This article explain things really well: http://disabledfeminists.com/2009/10/23/ableist-word-profile-intelligence/  You might want to take a look at this graphic as well to see why ableism is bad: 

Spoiler

Резултат с изображение за bigotry tree

• Like 6

I'm not sure rational and intelligent are the same thing to begin with. It is possible that people who are more rational tend to be asexual (among other things), because they focus on the logical, rather the emotional side of things, but I don't know if there is any research on that, so would be cautious with this claim.

2 hours ago, WhatEverDontCare said:

Maybe it's a stupid question, but does anyone else feel like asexuals tend to be more rational and therefore more intelligent? Does anyone know if there is a real correlation?

I see people in their replies use various definitions of intelligence so perhaps it would help (or ignite another discussion) if you clarified which definition of intelligence you are talking about so people don't get confused.

There might be some correlation in the way people are describing intelligence here, in terms that are close to Asperger type thinking. 

Its never popular to say this on AVEN, but asexuality has a higher incidence in Aspies than the general population. 

See the three studies cited in this old post (nkt the dodgy survey results at the start of the post). 

• Like 2
Diamond Ace of Hearts

Intelligence has no causal link to rationality, for a start. Also, there are different types of intelligence and sex is not irrational. So, no.

What is true is that intelligent/educated people are less likely to have as many kids as less intelligent/educated people, but there are a lot more factors in play there than sexuality.

• Like 3

I don't think asexuality can change someone's actual intelligence, but maybe the wasted time a sexual person takes trying to look sexy is the wasted time an asexual person takes trying to sound smart.

I really dont think so either. My very intelligent university friends were all allo.

It's more likely asexuals are more introspective and tend to have a vast range of interests, being generally wellread and informed on many topics, and much more prepared to discuss these passionately. I find most aces on here are logical thinkers and consider complex topics at great length.

You can increase your IQ by doing the above, so maybe there is just a positive correlation.

WhatEverDontCare

I know there are many types of intelligence, but I'm mostly talking about the type of intelligence measured by IQ tests. Surely there have been some disagreements on IQ, but it is a widely used parameter to measure people's abilities. Of course it doesn't take into account many things like creativity or emotional intelligence, but it is not a meaningless number either.

@Diamond Ace of Hearts You are right, I have no idea if there is an actual link between rationality and intelligence, it's also hard to explain what I mean by "rationality". Sex is not irrational but it is often driven by emotions. Rational people (relying on my experience) tend to like being in control over their emotions and they don't appreciate the feeling of being controlled by them. That's why I think there may be a link between rationality and asexuality (or at least grey-asexuality). I do realize these are ALL speculations, I can't prove nothing and neither I want to do it. I was just curious to know other's people opinions on the subject. 

@Telecaster68 Thank you for the interesting links. I knew about the link between a high IQ and asperger syndrome, so if there is an actual link between asperger and asexuality, I think it would be true to say that asexuals are on avarage more intelligent, since there are more aspies individuals between them. But of course nothing can be proven for now.

• Like 1

, I think it would be true to say that asexuals are on avarage more intelligent

It depends on whether you think IQ is a good measure of intelligence. Who's the more intelligent - someone who can figure out differential equations in their head but has no idea the person they're talking to is bored witless by their explanation? Or someone who's able to read and manage a complicated interaction between people, but can't split a restaurant bill accurately?

There's also increasing evidence that emotions can be partly a kind of heuristic logic - at a really simplistic level, it's intelligent to feel fear at a snake because it stops us being bitten. Working it out from first principles is more likely to get us killed. So there isn't really the a distinction.

• Like 4

Look, I scored well into the 100s every time one of them goshdarn eye-kyoo tests on the innernet back in the day, and as Telecaster can attest I say doggone foolish nonsense all the dang-diggity time. It's also incredibly ignorant and shallow-minded of me to make fun of hick stereotypes as if they're any more stupid than the urban-dwelling population, when people who make their living in the country often require a wider skill set to keep their families fed. And yet here I am, buying into oversimplified stereotypes like a sucker.

• Like 3

These sorts of topics (linking asexuality and anything else) and usually get shot down (by well-meaning people with well-thought out answers, as well as by simple "no" answers). The basic answer is no one really knows (so far). There simply isn't enough information. I'd love to see some scientific studies that actually gather info, analyze it, and follow up with why things might be whatever way they are. But scientists have barely scratched the surface of more widely studied sexualities, much less asexuality. :)

• Like 3

Oh my.. I actually thought about starting this exact topic a few hours ago!! 

Thank you for beating me to it,I guess :'D

These answers are amazing..

Edited by Markéta
to include a response to the discussion progress
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, WhatEverDontCare said:

Hang around AVEN for a while longer and you'll realize we are no more  rational than sexuals.  :D

• Like 6

Don't look in the spoiler if you want a legitimate contribution to this thread... I am but a gray...

God, i it must ve,,, i think about sex abd it cobtrols me i dint know What The Word Logic Means OH GOD

The asexuals are prime among us pls forgive me for beung mine illogical self i am irrational all i di us have sex or stry to have sex oh godddd

I just literally cant make decisions ghat dont habe to do witu other people abd this graphic act which drives me

My existence revilves aroynd my sexuality aaaaaaaa the ones who dont sex should have control of society

Anyway, like most everyone in here, I think there is ZERO correlation. 😇

• Like 3
48 minutes ago, kaysir said:

Don't look in the spoiler if you want a legitimate contribution to this thread... I am but a gray...

Hide contents

God, i it must ve,,, i think about sex abd it cobtrols me i dint know What The Word Logic Means OH GOD

The asexuals are prime among us pls forgive me for beung mine illogical self i am irrational all i di us have sex or stry to have sex oh godddd

I just literally cant make decisions ghat dont habe to do witu other people abd this graphic act which drives me

My existence revilves aroynd my sexuality aaaaaaaa the ones who dont sex should have control of society

Anyway, like most everyone in here, I think there is ZERO correlation. 😇

I honestly don't understand this post. Are you parodying how some asexuals think of sexuals, or something?

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, TheAP said:

I honestly don't understand this post. Are you parodying how some asexuals think of sexuals, or something?

Yeah, I'm acting as irrational as some might think the average sexual is!

• Like 1

You have to be "smart enough" to support the community and be open minded enough to accept your own Asexuality.