Talking with LGBT leader at work

lilgroundhog

So a while back, before I figured out I'm ace, I learned there is an LGBT group at work and didn't think much of it.  As I stated figuring out I'm not straight, I started looking at the groups website again and it mentioned the 'A' as allies.  Went on to find info very focused on the traditional community.  Ended up in a conversation yesterday with a friend who is part of the group and during ace awareness week sometime went, "hey, I just found out about this" and sent a link.  As today was their monthly meeting, I went with my friend.  Nothing was brought up about asexuals :-( I reached out to one of the leaders of the group so hopefully I can sit down and talk soon to explain I'm not sure they're as inclusive as they think they are. Though I think for this group is probably more ignorance than anything.  Thanks for letting me share.

It seems like it's probably just something they haven't been exposed to much. I'm sure a conversation with a group leader will help build a bridge to more explicit inclusion. There are LGBT groups that choose not to include asexuality if it's deemed not relevant to their purpose, but employee networks are usually not among those as they're usually formed to encourage diversity, support, and cooperation in a professional environment.

So conversation went really well, apparently I wasn't the first to indicate they may not appear to be as inclusive as they want to be, and they do want to fix the problem.  I also tried to keep reiterating that aces weren't the only ones they were leaving out.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish people were as open over here, I remember a transvestite driver making a delivery at one of my places of work, the comments coming out from other drivers, staff and management, people were coming out from the warehouse just to look at this driver as if they were the star of a freak show or something, having a few transgender and transvestite friends, not approving of the comments, I had to say something, needless to say I got abuse too, but that's like water off a ducks back to me, but I was so disgusted, I made a complaint to head office, I got a reply saying, if they wish to dress in such a way, they have to expect the abusive comments and people looking at them in such a manner, they also went on to say that it's not company procedure to take action on complaints addressed toward management, if I didn't like the way the company works, I should look for another job.

1 hour ago, oldgeeza said:

I wish people were as open over here, I remember a transvestite driver making a delivery at one of my places of work, the comments coming out from other drivers, staff and management, people were coming out from the warehouse just to look at this driver as if they were the star of a freak show or something, having a few transgender and transvestite friends, not approving of the comments, I had to say something, needless to say I got abuse too, but that's like water off a ducks back to me, but I was so disgusted, I made a complaint to head office, I got a reply saying, if they wish to dress in such a way, they have to expect the abusive comments and people looking at them in such a manner, they also went on to say that it's not company procedure to take action on complaints addressed toward management, if I didn't like the way the company works, I should look for another job.

Wow. That's horrible.

1 hour ago, Zsareph said:

Wow. That's horrible.

@Zsareph, that's what it's like to work for one of our country's largest employers, the worst company I have ever worked for, the management are racist, homophobic, generally very horrible people, I left the company nearly three years ago, I have never looked back, it was the only place I ever worked that I actually hated and dreaded going there 

• 2 months later...

I tried the same thing you did because asexual people can be very hard to find.I suppose to avoid future problems I openly stated the fact I was asexual and asked whether I was welcomed. Fortunately I was and now I attend gatherings all the time. However I have heard of some LGBT communities not acknowledging asexual people. I think my acceptance may have been due to the very conservative environment I exist in. I suppose my new friends appreciate all the support they can get, so have become more open minded. Perhaps in a more liberal setting the LGBT community might be far more selective. They shouldn't be though. I hope you find many new friends and thanks for being an asexual ambassador for all of us.  

• 2 months later...
lilgroundhog

So at work we had out standard monthly lunch meeting today.  One topic of conversation was what is the resource group going to do for pride month.  I said I had no idea what it would look like, but I thought the group should actively attempt to reach out to other sexual minority communities that aren't traditionally LGBT.  The idea seemed to go over well, and there was talk of wanting to do a panel discussion.  I was asked if I'd be willing to be on it because I'm ace.  I told them another discussion off line needed to happen first.

Since lunch I've had very mixed feelings about it.  I feel like it could be good to get visibility on site. Conversely, I don't hide my orientation, but I'm not always open about it.  I'm more known for not being open to a romantic relationship.  Also, in many ways I'm feel like I'm still figuring things out.

Just wanted to get my thoughts down and give somewhat of an update after I talked to one of the board members last fall.

Archived