• Announcements

• Kelly

New Team members Needed--Moderator, Project Team, and Declass Team: Voting   12/10/13

See:   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/164659-new-declass-team-member-needed-voting/   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/164657-new-moderator-member-needed-qa-co-mod-and-world-watch-mod-voting/   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/164656-new-project-team-member-needed-resources-and-education-director-voting/  
    • Kelly

AVENues Holiday Special Edition is now live   08/17/17

The new edition of AVENues is done!   See:        
    • Lady Girl

Ace Community Census   11/06/17

It’s time for the 2017 Ace Community Census!   see:   http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/162675-announcing-the-2017-ace-community-census/  
    • Heart

Help fund AVEN's servers!   11/06/17

AVEN is doing its annual fundraiser to raise donations for server costs! See http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/163251-aven-server-fundraiser/ for more details.  
Sign in to follow this  
lilgroundhog

Talking with LGBT leader at work

lilgroundhog

So a while back, before I figured out I'm ace, I learned there is an LGBT group at work and didn't think much of it.  As I stated figuring out I'm not straight, I started looking at the groups website again and it mentioned the 'A' as allies.  Went on to find info very focused on the traditional community.  Ended up in a conversation yesterday with a friend who is part of the group and during ace awareness week sometime went, "hey, I just found out about this" and sent a link.  As today was their monthly meeting, I went with my friend.  Nothing was brought up about asexuals :-( I reached out to one of the leaders of the group so hopefully I can sit down and talk soon to explain I'm not sure they're as inclusive as they think they are. Though I think for this group is probably more ignorance than anything.  Thanks for letting me share.

Snao Cone

It seems like it's probably just something they haven't been exposed to much. I'm sure a conversation with a group leader will help build a bridge to more explicit inclusion. There are LGBT groups that choose not to include asexuality if it's deemed not relevant to their purpose, but employee networks are usually not among those as they're usually formed to encourage diversity, support, and cooperation in a professional environment.

chandrakirti

@lilgroundhog, good for you, the more education out there, the better.

lilgroundhog

So conversation went really well, apparently I wasn't the first to indicate they may not appear to be as inclusive as they want to be, and they do want to fix the problem.  I also tried to keep reiterating that aces weren't the only ones they were leaving out.

Snao Cone

That's great to hear! 

oldgeeza

I wish people were as open over here, I remember a transvestite driver making a delivery at one of my places of work, the comments coming out from other drivers, staff and management, people were coming out from the warehouse just to look at this driver as if they were the star of a freak show or something, having a few transgender and transvestite friends, not approving of the comments, I had to say something, needless to say I got abuse too, but that's like water off a ducks back to me, but I was so disgusted, I made a complaint to head office, I got a reply saying, if they wish to dress in such a way, they have to expect the abusive comments and people looking at them in such a manner, they also went on to say that it's not company procedure to take action on complaints addressed toward management, if I didn't like the way the company works, I should look for another job.

Zsareph
1 hour ago, oldgeeza said:

I wish people were as open over here, I remember a transvestite driver making a delivery at one of my places of work, the comments coming out from other drivers, staff and management, people were coming out from the warehouse just to look at this driver as if they were the star of a freak show or something, having a few transgender and transvestite friends, not approving of the comments, I had to say something, needless to say I got abuse too, but that's like water off a ducks back to me, but I was so disgusted, I made a complaint to head office, I got a reply saying, if they wish to dress in such a way, they have to expect the abusive comments and people looking at them in such a manner, they also went on to say that it's not company procedure to take action on complaints addressed toward management, if I didn't like the way the company works, I should look for another job.

Wow. That's horrible.

oldgeeza
1 hour ago, Zsareph said:

Wow. That's horrible.

@Zsareph, that's what it's like to work for one of our country's largest employers, the worst company I have ever worked for, the management are racist, homophobic, generally very horrible people, I left the company nearly three years ago, I have never looked back, it was the only place I ever worked that I actually hated and dreaded going there