What AVEN Looked Like in the Past

CosineTheCat

Many members of AVEN have been here for years and remember the different format of AVEN. I only ever got to see two different types of the forum from when I became a member back in 2013 but there are certainly others that have seen more. 

I found a website that shows the forms that AVEN had over the year. 

Here are just some of the dates I found:

Front Page:
June 1st, 2002

December 12th, 2005  @Kelly @Amcan @Frankentan @Silly Green Monkey

October 25th, 2007 (Look it! Multiple languages!) @iff

December 29th, 2009  @michaeld @Cimmerian

February 17th, 2013 @Nai

Forum:

December 1st, 2002

November 3rd, 2003

December 23rd, 2008

February 10th, 2010  @Qutenkreepy

November 11th, 2011 @Lady Girl @Heart @Kyon. @Serran @Aqua-ace @AshenPhoenix @.Lia

February 17th, 2013 @SkyWorld (This is about when I joined!)

I put a bunch of names on here of current admods who might want to relive some of the nostalgia of what it was first like when they joined AVEN. If any of you have any memories of the changes, feel free to comment! What is your favourite look? 

:) Thanks for posting this; I didn't think any of the old forums or formats were saved. So, all I thought I had was my memory, to try and remember what the forum used to look like when I first joined. I couldn't really remember it, as I didn't stick around long, only around how many members there were at that time (somewhere between 1,200-2,800). The bell symbols (that signaled new posts) on the old forum look familiar; I think that same format was commonly used on other forums, too, at the time.

The old forums can be accessed through the list of Front Pages, too. 

Wow. That was a jump in members, between 2003 and 2005: 674 to 5,904.

5 minutes ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

Wow. That was a jump in members, between 2003 and 2005: 674 to 5,904.

That was almost certainly the New Scientist article, inspired by Bogaert's 1% paper! I know that's what really kickstarted AVEN and the asexual community. :)

There are also lots of interesting screenshots of old pages from AVEN and beyond in Nat Titman's WorldPride talk in 2012.

11 minutes ago, michaeld said:

That was almost certainly the New Scientist article, inspired by Bogaert's 1% paper! I know that's what really kickstarted AVEN and the asexual community. :)

There are also lots of interesting screenshots of old pages from AVEN and beyond in Nat Titman's WorldPride talk in 2012.

Yes. I remember Bogaert mentioned in his book that he published his findings in 2004; I read his book for the first time earlier this year. I was there at that time, but I didn't know he'd published anything about it; I found the site, myself, by accident, and due to feeling ashamed about being asexual, I left, to try to figure out whether I was just a scared heterosexual. So, unfortunately, I didn't stick around long enough to learn this new information. Silly teen me. :P

Thanks for posting this! It’s fun to look at the changes through the years. I might not have a favorite, but I know every time it changed I would like the new look and miss the old look...every time. 

Wow, this really is a walk down memory lane. Thanks Cosine!

Crazy Cat Lady

I joined in 2010, so part-way between your 2010 and 2011 links. Wiggled around to find August 2010 (which is when I joined), and I think it looks more like the Nov. 2011 one, and that's what I remember!

I joined about 9 years ago, I still recognize some usernames that appear in these screenshots as the 'last post by' :lol:

Memories! :wub: 

I liked the simple pink and purple forum from around the turn of the decade (and big rectangular avatars!). And in the mid-2000's, we had purple bananas, the Atrix, and everyone knew each other.

11 minutes ago, Kelly said:

Memories! :wub:

Hahah, still after years you like Hermione as your avatar, Mrs. KellyKelly ^_^:cake:

This is awesome! Thanks, Cosine!

Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet
Just now, Kyon. said:

I love this!

2011 AVEN looked so nice and curvy. :wub:

I agree!💖

17 hours ago, CosineTheCat said:

October 25th, 2007 (Look it! Multiple languages!)

I remember that look. That's what the site looked like when I first visited in early 2006.

I can barely remember what the forum looked like when I was active back then I more remember the people.

I'm so happy to see everyone so happy over seeing the different versions of AVEN. When I found this site (I was watching YouTube of all places) I instantly thought if it took snaps of AVEN at all. The answer is yes, obviously, and I thought it would be fun to post it. I'm glad I did. :) It's crazy thinking about how much AVEN has changed and how the grass-roots movement really worked out for AVEN. 

MEMORIES!!!

It's a pity we don't have a capture of the phpBB forum because that was a thing of beauty, it really was.

I too recall member #4000 ow ther was a milestone. Totally eclipsed by later milestones but that really was the first big one. 

I think I joined in 2007 (although in one of the redos my start date got mixed up to show as being much later), so I went to that page, and found this gem:

"The much touted 'sexual revolution' is, and has been, a failure. It will continue to be a failure up until the day when there is REAL sexual freedom, and it is FINALLY OKAY to say, 'No thanks. I'm just not interested. At all. Ever.'  When a person can say 'No' to sex, without being second-guessed, ridiculed, pitied, or accused of lying and hiding their true orientation, THEN they have sexual freedom."

Cool to see old formats of Aven! Fun to see how much Aven has grown/changed over the years, format changes and new members joining and coming together! 

VUHwzqO.gif

Lotta_Biscotti

Aww, this was a really cool post. Nice to see the layers of the cake!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread  is making me think about the past. I think ,i started posting on Aven between 2001-2006 (over 11 years ago)

Archived