Would you ever ask a guy out?

lux aeterna

Sooooo hello,

for everyone not knowing me, I sometimes write about a guy who works in an archery in the same house I live in. I live here now since four months and since day one I'm like: that is the prettiest guy I've ever seen. But nothing eveeeer happened, most likely because I have a very good "stay the fuck away frome me" face (at least that's what I think it is.... friends said I am right :D) and because he is ten years older maybe. It could all be, but I was always too wasted for further thought. I still am, but since a week or so I feel like maybe I should just say that I'm interested? I am sure he is not asexual at all, but I would just like to go on a date again after 2 1/2 years. I think because he showed no interest at all so far he will say no, but I feel like I should finally do it. Today the owner of the archery said they will move to a bigger place in three months, so it would only be embarassing for that amount of time :P 

Noooow to my question: You gals dare to ask a guy out?

No but I'm aro. There are hecka guys in all my classes because I'm majoring in physics, and now and then some are textbook "super attractive." But I don't want anything, I'll just admire that they went into a technical field (usually engineering) instead of capitalizing on their appearance and move on.

No because I’m very shy :P (I don’t buy into the whole traditional guy must ask girl out thing, it makes girls think they don’t have a choice) 

Definitely. I almost asked a guy to have lunch with me the other day - a guy I've never never met before. But I had no money on me and I was dealing with overcrowding at work and lost him :( The think is most guys are used to being the ones that have to ask the girl out, so they become more interested when a girl breaks the mold and asks them out instead. Don't be afraid to make the first move! 

Yeah, but I'm a grown woman. I'm too old to care what anyone thinks anymore.

3 minutes ago, Lichley said:

Definitely. I almost asked a guy to have lunch with me the other day - a guy I've never never met before. But I had no money on me and I was dealing with overcrowding at work and lost him :( The think is most guys are used to being the ones that have to ask the girl out, so they become more interested when a girl breaks the mold and asks them out instead. Don't be afraid to make the first move! 

My thought is that they become more uninterested, because it will hurt their sweet little egos. That is what I call a dilemma. :P

Just now, lux aeterna said:

My thought is that they become more uninterested, because it will hurt their sweet little egos. That is what I call a dilemma. :P

Then they're not worthy of your attention if you have to cater to their fragile egos. ;) 

Just now, borkfork said:

Then they're not worthy of your attention if you have to cater to their fragile egos. ;) 

Aaaaaaah, the joys of dating. That is why I have nothing to do with that stuff anymore. But sometimes (even though I'm a grown woman :P) I want some recognition from outside. Not ashamed of it. 

4 minutes ago, lux aeterna said:

I inexplicably always fall for the shy gamer guys, so it helps that you have the confidence to approach them, because they're probably not gonna approach you.

Just now, Lichley said:

I inexplicably always fall for the shy gamer guys, so it helps that you have the confidence to approach them, because they're probably not gonna approach you.

Once I talked with him and his co-worker about stuff and I told them about my roomies and what they do and how old we are, so it also could be that he thinks it would be creepy if he asks me out, because I'm 10 years younger (I'm 26).

5 minutes ago, m4rble said:

I think you should go for it. 

I love Anna Akana! Thanks :D

Yes. Men asking women out is a pretty pointless (and often damaging) social expectation. It's like asking a woman to walk on the inside of the curb/sidewalk; it doesn't change anything and it's one more thing to worry about needlessly.

Diamond Ace of Hearts

So... I'm a guy but I'm going to answer anyway.

I would far prefer to be asked than do the asking. There's a bunch of reasons for that and admittedly some of them are bad (also, one of the reasons is that I'm asexual and your guy isn't, you think) but I don't think there's any reason not to ask him out if you want to. I think most guys would find it flattering.

1 minute ago, Diamond Ace of Hearts said:

So... I'm a guy but I'm going to answer anyway.

I would far prefer to be asked than do the asking. There's a bunch of reasons for that and admittedly some of them are bad (also, one of the reasons is that I'm asexual and your guy isn't, you think) but I don't think there's any reason not to ask him out if you want to. I think most guys would find it flattering.

Alright, thank you very much. Don't know anymore why I wrote "for the girls" in the first place, so your answer is more than welcome. It's weird, for so long I thought "Oh my gawd welcoming my asexuality means being alone foreeeeever. Everything that has to do with dating and stuff is senseless, because in the end everybody just wants to lay on me", but since a few weeks I'm like "Fuck it, I want to meet people again, it is soooo long ago, let's get wasted" - no idea where that comes from :D

I feel no romantic attraction to compel me to do this. Although I love me some good dares, so if somebody dared me to ask a guy out I probably would, only to say "haha, joking" in the end.

1 hour ago, Ciri said:

(I don’t buy into the whole traditional guy must ask girl out thing, it makes girls think they don’t have a choice) 

Agree on so many levels!!! 

I didn't even consider that it may be uncommon/strange for girls to ask guys! Everyone seems to be on the same page but me, lol.

Lord Jade Cross

I've at times found myself being pushed by others to ask a girl just because we shared like 2 sentences worth of talking and somehow this translates to "potential mate" in the eyes of others.

Also, there's the expectation that if as a guy, you see a girl playing with her hair, being unusually cheerful around you or generally doing any of the "hints that I hope you pick up on", that, that somehow translates into "You MUST ask her out"

So I agree the social expectations are damaging. To me any signs are more of warnings though :P

3 minutes ago, Jade Cross said:

To me any signs are more of warnings though :P

TRUE

I have to straight up avoid eye contact for a week if I'm getting hints that a guy likes me. Usually does the trick.

From the guys perspective they are not sure how to handle this strange emotion of flattery. In my case I haven't known how to react and just went 'yeah .. OK!' because the flattery felt good enough and then I became really interested in the person I hadn't really noticed before.

Another point regarding what people are saying about girls doing the asking ... They may not actually ask ... but they are very good at setting the stage ..

You know, comments like;

'So, it looks like we're both at a loose end Saturday evening then.'

'I would sooo love to see that film .. but I don't like going to the cinema alone'

So, in a way, most do ask guys out.

Lord Jade Cross
12 minutes ago, TopHatCat said:

TRUE

I have to straight up avoid eye contact for a week if I'm getting hints that a guy likes me. Usually does the trick.

I totally get what you mean. Last time a girl showed interest in me, she was very persistent about it; saying things that she was oh so alone in the world and constantly asking if I wanted to hang out to do things (which were complete opposites of me). I always politely declined but she didnt seem to get the message.She kind of was crossing the line into what felt like stalking o_o;; (okay maybe thats a bit harsh but having someone continously following me trigers a sort of "stranger danger" emotion)

No, because my obsessions with people make me so anxious that I'd be too afraid to ask them out. And because I'm not even sure if I'd want a romantic relationship with someone I was obsessed with.

A shard of glass

In all honesty, I can't ask a woman out nowadays... Too scared of people blowing "fancy a date" way out of proportion... So I don't ask women out... But if a woman asked me out, I'd say yes 98% of the time... Because who am I to say no to them?

Sorry, I'm a guy XD

I would ask a guy out... I would prefer if he asked me, but I don't mind being the one to ask him out.... although my anxiety will try to kill me if I do. 

I'm a guy. Personally, I am oblivious to hints, even the "obvious" ones. If a woman were interested in me I'd prefer she said so. But I'm not one to talk; I rarely got up the courage to ask people out when I was younger (and since AVEN I haven't really tried). I don't see why it should be on one gender to do the asking. 

WobblyWallaby

I did once. In high school I asked out my crush. He wasn't mean but he was super nonchalant with his no. Almost like I'd asked him if he knew what time it was. It's been about five years now and we're friends. I'd rather be straight forward with interest than beat around the bush.

My high school crush told me to find Jesus. I don't know if he could've predicted that would make me angry enough to never speak to him again. 

Archived