Flu Shots?

krystal_muzik

No flu shot here. I rarely ever get sick anyway - despite working in public and spending a good chunk of my spare time in ungodly weather conditions.

We can get free flu shots at work, but neither did I ever get one nor do I plan to. I survived all the other fads as well, bird flu, swine flu, mad cows, EHEC, blah. The only thing you can't get out of alive is life itself.

Disclaimer: I'm not an anti vax person in general.

Just reading through the replies in here. Interesting to see the mixed stances at play yet again. I've had a lot of discussions with people about being pro or anti vax. Myself, I honestly can't say whether I'm for or against it. In theory, vaxinations make sense. It's just the way they're handled that leads to my skepticism. The corporations behind the creation of those vaccines are less than reputable. Not only that, but we live in an age where politics has infested the scientific community, and every single piece of information you hear from any big name news source is operating for an agenda. You can never really be sure anymore if what you're hearing is being skewed or audited in some way to fit a narrative.

I can understand the anti-vax crowd, but I think a lot of the reasons they bring up against it are unfounded and misguided, in essence, they're looking in the wrong direction. And for the pro-crowd, I can understand their stance, but so many of them seem overzealous and, like the anti-vaxers, overlook the important details.

Frankly, it would be nice if the majority of people actually taught thier children proper sanitary standards and to actually take care when sick, and even when healthy. I'd almost be willing to wager that a lot of the vaccines we have today wouldn't be neccessary if people actually took proper precautions.

Having just gone through a round of the flu this year and am, in fact, still getting over it with the cough and all, I'm all in favor of getting the flu shot if you can or need to. It's not a miracle cure or anything like that, but it might help.

I've been getting the flu shot once a year for the past 4 years. I need it for work since I work in a hospital and the alternative is wearing a mask which I hate. I've suffered various side effects from minor ache on the injection site, which usually lasted a day, to getting sick for over a week. If it weren't for work or it being free, I probably wouldn't get it. I can only remember getting the flu once as a child and recall it being a miserable time. Even if I can slightly prevent that I don't mind the side effects. Although obviously, I'm still susceptible to various other strains of the virus.  
I don't think anyone should be pressured to get the vaccine.   

My doctor is quite insistent when it comes to flu shots, so she often just throws them into our regular checkups. I'm very used to needlework now that I do my own testosterone shots, so it's not really a big deal to me. If anything, it's such a tiny needle and minor shot for me That I tend to get a bit cheeky and say stuff like "oh that's cute, where's the real needle?" :lol: Can't say I've ever gotten bad side effects from a vaccine, but I also have a rather strong immune system to begin with.

Personally I hate needles (scared of them, despite going through 2 years of constant check ups involving thise needles used for blood sugar tests, I still am) so I've never been in a hurray for flu shot. But saying that if a doctor really insists on it, I will take it.

I don’t mind needles, so I’m fine with getting the shot. I’ve just been too lazy to actually go and get it. My mom did have me get it a few years ago(she’s a nurse so she herself gets it every year).

EmotionalAndroid

Yes, I get them every year. They are really really important, not just to keep you safe, but to keep everyone safe. Immunizations are important for the protection of everyone. I'm saddened to see how many people don't get one. :(

I don't like needles at all, but getting a shot is one heck of a lot better than getting the flu. Trust me.

• 4 weeks later...
imnotafreakofnature!

You couldn't pay me enough to get a flu shot. I just take extra vitamin C and I'm fine.

I got mine (free through work). I've never had a problem with getting the flu, and am in a generally healthy state: I get the shot not so much for my own benefit, but to avoid becoming a minimally-symptomatic carrier and passing along the flu to someone with a weaker immune system. Contributing to "herd immunity" makes it worth doing beyond self-interest considerations.

On 12/19/2017 at 7:56 AM, FictoVore. said:

http://www.cmsri.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/MawsonStudyHealthOutcomes5.8.2017.pdf

I wish more people could read this (and that they'd do more independent studies like this, in adults as well as kids).

The whole study sounds like one big example of how not to run a study.

While the n would be meh if it was for a narrower topic, it is woefully inadequate to make any good statistically significant statements about anything with a low p value.

But that's not the worst of it. What really bothers me is the sample group and selection process.

The age range is okay, but why only homeschooled children? But what is the worst is that it's an opt-in study where the topic of the study was communicated before the opt. So effectively you are telling people "So we think there might be a link between NDD and vaccines in children. Would you like to participate in our study on that topic?" That's gonna lead to an absurd amount of confirmation bias that makes the study completely worthless already all on its own. (Heck, even the wording in their letter to parents clearly implies they are mostly interested to hear about negative outcomes. It's a joke.)

It's no wonder they conclude their abstract with "Further research involving larger, independent samples and stronger research designs is needed"

Then again, is anyone surprised?

"This study was supported by grants from Generation Rescue, "

Generation Rescue is a nonprofit organization that advocates the scientifically disproven view that autism and related disorders are primarily caused by environmental factors, particularly vaccines.

Oh, and full disclaimer: Yes, yes I do get my flu shot every year.

3 minutes ago, borkfork said:

Already posted a response to that "study." @Dreamer23

Ah, my bad, didn't click on that link :)

1 hour ago, Dreamer23 said:

Oh, and full disclaimer: Yes, yes I do get my flu shot every year.

oh, full disclaimer, never had a flu shot and have had the flu maybe 3 times in my entire life.

Every time a bad flu season hits (wherever you go in the Western world) hospitals get overrun with people who get the flu so bad they can't deal with it on their home at home, most of them get their yearly flu shots just like you do ;)

And hey, it's great if you choose to actually believe the nonsense reported in the studies funded by the companies who make money from the sale of vaccines lol, good for you. But for the rest of us, it's about time that some independent studies were released not funded by the companies that make the money from the vaccines they're trying to sell you.

Your cognitive dissonance is strong, as is that of most people when it comes to vaccines, but one day you'll all be demanding to know why you were lied to and manipulated for decades in regards to vaccines, you'll all say 'no one told us!', yet we were here, all along, telling you your shots not only do nothing good for you, they actually make you sicker. But hey, you're clearly happier this way for now so meh, have fun! :cake:

Archived