Flu Shots?

krystal_muzik

Never had a flu shot, don't get the flu. But meh, I was never vaccinated against anything and somehow survived to be an adult so what do I know. *shrug*

In response my to the video, my issue with the flu shot is that almost everyone I know who gets it still gets a really bad flu generally once or twice a year. They say 'oooh but it would be way worse if I didn't get the shot' ...yet you're standing there without the flu despite never having had a flu shot and just shaking your head as they shiver away in bed looking like death warmed up. The lady in the video didn't suggest what type of shot to get in that scenario lol.

Yeah, I got mine this year. Good thing, too, 'cause I have enough problems just with the ordinary sinus infections I get in the winter (usually right around Christmas, when it's least convenient, lol). I really don't want to ever have to deal with the flu if I can avoid it.

I know the flu vaccine doesn't protect you from all the possible strains of the virus (which is why some people end up catching it anyway) only the ones scientists predict will be the most virulent that year. And yeah, sometimes they guess wrong! But that's not a good enough reason to not get it, IMO. Even though I fear (and hate) needles! :unsure:

Yeah, I get two a year since I work at a hospital in the ICU. If I don't I have to wear a mask all day and that's much less convenient than a shot!

As for if you should get the flu shot, it only really matters if you are very young or elderly and/or have an autoimmune disorder. Otherwise, it's just whether you want one or not. As a healthy 21-year-old, I wouldn't get one if it weren't mandatory, but it is very helpful for the people I mentioned before so they have a little less to worry about.

flagsforhippos

I once read that approximately 4 in 10 Brits are immune to influenza A. I must be one of them, I 've not had flu once in my life.

Never got flu shots ever.  I probably have the benefit of just being very healthy and not prone to getting sick, and if anything I find the flu shots a waist of time when a new one will be developed next year.

I wonder tho: is it possible that they offer them every year for the sake of herd immunity?  Like people may be immune or don't catch it, but carry it with them and pass it on to someone who is.  Would getting a shot prevent that sort of thing, at least for a specific strain that could be deadly for someone with auto immune disorders?  Because I can see why they would ask every year if that's the case, since the viruses are constantly adapting.  Now I feel bad if I were a carrier, jeez... and all because I can't stand needles.

The reason they don't work is:

A) The are made years in advance. So it's prediction strains are already obsolete before flu season even hits.

B) The ingredients may only create a vaccine for animals, and not humans. (It does nothing, because it's not the proper form of virus for our immune systems)

C) It isn't a guarantee.

Everyone knows American doctors over prescribe things to make money, because they are in contracts with Big pharma. It's also the same reason there is an opioid epidemic. The Big pharma are making bank off of Doctors pushing unneeded crap on the population. It's a cooperate scam. 

For a bit of anecdotal evidence. I never get sick, and never go to the doctors. I haven't seen a doctor since before puberty. I'm not even the most hygienic person either. 

2 hours ago, vmdraco said:

I wonder tho: is it possible that they offer them every year for the sake of herd immunity?  Like people may be immune or don't catch it, but carry it with them and pass it on to someone who is.  Would getting a shot prevent that sort of thing, at least for a specific strain that could be deadly for someone with auto immune disorders?  Because I can see why they would ask every year if that's the case, since the viruses are constantly adapting.  Now I feel bad if I were a carrier, jeez... and all because I can't stand needles.

DING DING DING! Flu shots aren't made to benefit healthy people who might be inconvenienced by getting the flu. They're for those with compromised immune systems like those with HIV/AIDS, the elderly, and infants. Those people might not be able to get the shot themselves so healthy people like me suck it up and get it. I shop at the same stores as the elderly, pregnant, etc. so they're exposed to me. Do you know the occupation, living situation, and health history of everyone on your morning bus? How about every customer at your local grocery store?

Also, to prevent another pandemic like the Spanish Flu in 1918. 

edit: I can't say there's any universal standard, but the flu vaccine in the U.S. is made less than 12 months in advance, and it's probably the same in most first-world countries. Even in the event of a mismatch there is some cross-protection. It's not uncommon for cells for vaccines to be cultivated from animal cells. The smallpox vaccine used the skin of calves. The cells for the polio vaccine are still grown in monkey kidney tissue.

I get the flu jab every year because I'm in an at risk group. I haven't this year yet as I'm away from home, plan to get it at the week-end though.

I've never gotten a flu shot (not that I can remember at least), and though it's not a bad idea to get one, most people don't really need one. I'm a young adult, who's healthy and is almost exclusively around other young adults that are healthy.. if I worked in the medical field, or in child development, or in an old folks home, or anywhere that has a very high degree of people for which the flu can be significantly more then just a illness that knocks you out for a week, then I'd get it, and in those cases it should be required/is often required.. but I really don't want to get an annual shot that doesn't have an all to high success rate, it might be selfish, but I see it for me (not for people in groups/who work with groups for which the flu is very dangerous) as kind of pointless...  

I don't bother. I don't see the point. I got sick more often, the last couple times I did O_o

I think you're wiser, in doing things naturally. 

I ensure I'm eating well, which includes the vitamin consumption to enable your body not only to ward off illness, but accelerate the time frame it takes to heal from them. 

I see flu shots like I see a lot of medicine. Placebos, and I really don't see the benefit if you're taking good care of your body with regards to what you put in it. 

2 minutes ago, TheAP said:

I never get one. I hardly ever get the flu anyway.

I always get the flu...every single winter :( :blink:

There's an astonishing amount of incorrect information in this thread. :(

I have been getting flu shots every year for a while now. They don't cost me a cent out of my pocket. If they only provide partial prevention it's still better than no prevention at all in my opinion.

I get mine every year as soon as I can.

I'm going to seriously regret this...

23 hours ago, Hazell said:

Somebody told me they have many side effects.

I prefer getting the flu lol :D

I've had the flu several times - twice this past year. It knocks me out for a week and leaves me very weak for two more. For me, that's at least a week of work I'll miss because not only am I contagious, but I'm practically bed-ridden. How is that preferable to maybe some soreness, low-grade fever, and a headache? (Which is a pretty moderate reaction. Most people either don't experience any side effects or they only experience a bit of aching.)

As a cab driver with regular customers, I have noticed that the vast majority of those customers entitled to the flu jab get one, and maybe two or three have a reaction beyond rhinitis. In a normal year (non-pandemic) a similar number of customers get the flu. 

Much more commonplace is people describing a heavy cold as flu

For the record, I'm entitled to a jab, being T2 diabetic, but have had as many attacks of flu as I have had flu jabs, zero in both cases 

• 2 weeks later...
krystal_muzik
On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 5:25 AM, FictoVore. said:

The lady in the video didn't suggest what type of shot to get in that scenario lol.

How do you know it was the flu and not a bad cold or some other virus?

RoseGoesToYale

I see no point. Mainly because $30 a shot x one flu season a year x 85 +/- years remaining in my life = $2550, probably a bit more because inflation. I could put that toward an unforeseen health emergency. I'm still not sure if I've ever had the flu, either.

• 4 weeks later...
Apathetic Echidna

I've been getting the shot for a few years now, since I first started being around lots of vulnerable people. I basically get it to reduce the chances of being a carrier and also to support my local pharmacy. I love my local pharmacist I want to make sure their services are recognised as essential in this area so they don't get replaced by some super cheap perfume pushing chain store with 5 pharmacists who never look up from behind their desk. 

I am all vaccined up for pretty much everything though. There is only 2 more vaccines I want but they be very expensive

I never used to because I rarely used to get colds or the flu, but for the last two years I've been sick constantly and my work is recommending that I take the goddamn shot. 

I haven't been able to go more than two weeks this winter without taking a sick day or getting ill over a weekend -- and to be fair I'd really like to be less sick.

So I might try next year and see if makes a difference.

I got it for the first time this year because I get it free through work, plus both my parents get it and very rarely get bad colds or flu, so I figured it could be helpful.

my mom and sister got it last year and i was constantly around them.. never got it.. never had the shot... (plus I have a really bad fear of needles)

I got it for the first time this year despite never having the flu before. Made me feel like ass for a day or two, all for an illness I've never had. 

Archived