Here and Now - "Why One Married Couple And Their Friend Formed A 3-Parent Family"

scarletlatitude

scarletlatitude

http://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2017/11/06/three-parent-family

6 November 2017

Featuring our own DJ @AVENguy

On co-parenting as an asexual person

David Jay: "For me as an asexual person, I've kind of always known I wanted kids, but felt that it was pretty unlikely that I was gonna have kids in a traditional way. And I've always formed really close, committed relationships with my friends, including friends that are couples. And so even when I was in my 20s and thinking about what might kids look like to me, the possibility that I might form a committed relationship with a couple and help them raise one or more children was really appealing to me. And then I met my partner in 2011, and it became pretty clear early on that she didn't want kids, and I really did. And so what I said to her was, 'Look, I am gonna find a way to have kids in my life. If our relationship can be flexible, if we can each have the room to do what we need to do, then I'll find a way to have kids in my life and you can make your own decision about whether or not you wanna have kids.' And what we wound up realizing was, it makes a lot of sense for me to be a co-parent, and for her to be a person in the child's life, but not to be primarily, you know, bottle-feeding at 4 a.m."

Archived