When will AVEN hit 100,000 members & how should we celebrate?

Snao Cone

100,000 members  

34 members have voted

1. 1. When will AVEN reach 100,000 members?

• Before November 15, 2017
    • Between November 15 and November 22, 2017
    • Between November 23 and November 30, 2017
    • Never, because AVEN will mysteriously disappear some time between 0130 and 0330 Central Time on November 27th
    • On or after December 1, 2017

31 minutes ago, Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet said:

I knoooooooow!💖💖💗💗💖💖 I fell in love with this pic when I saw it!:wub:

Precious little fluff baby and their pink cake :wub:

Ruru+Saphhy=Garnet
1 hour ago, Rhaenys said:

Precious little fluff baby and their pink cake :wub:

Yeah.... <3 💖💖💖💖💖😺

It's simple: WE THREATEN THE WORLD FOR A BILLION DOLLARS! *puts pinky to lip*

After we reach critical mass at 100,000 we shall demand the world to pay us our ransom, otherwise we will all jump in place (causing mass earthquakes), continuously flush toilets (to cause mass flooding) and constantly click the gas pump so that it stalls out all the others and becomes a MASSIVE ANNOYANCE MUHAHAHAHAHA!

Hermit Advocate
5 hours ago, Marrow said:

It's simple: WE THREATEN THE WORLD FOR A BILLION DOLLARS! *puts pinky to lip*

After we reach critical mass at 100,000 we shall demand the world to pay us our ransom, otherwise we will all jump in place (causing mass earthquakes), continuously flush toilets (to cause mass flooding) and constantly click the gas pump so that it stalls out all the others and becomes a MASSIVE ANNOYANCE MUHAHAHAHAHA!

And we buy  all of the cakes on the planet to create a massive cake shortage. 

89 members in 67 hours = 1.33 members per hour. We need 632 more, which means we need 475 hours, which means at this pace we will reach this on November 30th. Assuming AVEN doesn't mysteriously disappear.

Elftober Country
13 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

89 members in 67 hours = 1.33 members per hour. We need 632 more, which means we need 475 hours, which means at this pace we will reach this on November 30th. Assuming AVEN doesn't mysteriously disappear.

Snao did math!

3.75 days or 90 hours, we've gained 117 members, which means we're down to 1.30 members per hour. With 604 left to go. That is roughlt 464.5 hours (I'm doing this all in my head) which is 19 days 8.5 hours, which is still November 30th in all North American timezones.

It would be interesting to see what percentage of the 100K figure have actually made at least one post on AVEN, as the size of the active community seems small given the rate of new account creation, suggesting that a lot of the accounts registered on AVEN are lurkers.

Hermit Advocate
2 hours ago, Pramana said:

It would be interesting to see what percentage of the 100K figure have actually made at least one post on AVEN, as the size of the active community seems small given the rate of new account creation, suggesting that a lot of the accounts registered on AVEN are lurkers.

Or how many have made even 50 posts. I agree that a lot of accounts seem to be mainly lurkers. While that's not a bad thing I would appreciate more contributions to the conversations.

My theory is that new members might feel intimidated or not knowledgeable enough to enter discussions about asexuality and fear accidently saying something that is incorrect (and the thought of having to be corrected by several long-time members.) I felt that way when I first joined; reading some of the older, college-educated, long-time members' posts about asexuality caused me to realize I didn't know as much as they did. So, I didn't feel ready to enter their conversations.

:) I like all of the ideas everyone came up with, with celebrating. I've got an idea for music to play, too.

That's some good math skills, Snao Cone! 

I'm sure it's that way for every forum--that only a small percentage of accounts are active posters.

The reason I joined AVEN initially was to have access to read the sex-repulsed asexuals thread in Intersectionality. I wasn't planning on becoming involved in the community and didn't do so until a month later after I had become more interested in the topic. There must be a lot of people, though, who create accounts just to have access to the whole forum. Plus, you have researchers making accounts, members making sock accounts for whatever reason, people who may have joined the forum not realizing what it was really about, etc. But when I first joined AVEN, I believed there was around 90,0000 active members (the total members count at the time), not realizing what that number actually represents.

I think some people just don't get in regular habits of doing much online. They might sign up one day when they're bored and spend a little time here (whether posting or just reading) and don't have the time for it afterwards, at least not until they forget that this place exists. I've set up accounts on many sites that I haven't visited more than a few times.

2 hours ago, Pramana said:

The reason I joined AVEN initially was to have access to read the sex-repulsed asexuals thread in Intersectionality. I wasn't planning on becoming involved in the community and didn't do so until a month later after I had become more interested in the topic. There must be a lot of people, though, who create accounts just to have access to the whole forum. Plus, you have researchers making accounts, members making sock accounts for whatever reason, people who may have joined the forum not realizing what it was really about, etc. But when I first joined AVEN, I believed there was around 90,0000 active members (the total members count at the time), not realizing what that number actually represents.

Can you imagine how overwhelming this site would be if there were 90,000 active posters? :P 

But I never intended to become an active poster, either. Slightly embarrassing confession: part of the reason I joined was because I thought if I made an account I'd get to look at the banned members' profiles and see the posts they made to get banned. (I have a morbid fascination with forum drama.) I didn't think that was really a good reason to join, but I realized I did also have questions to ask about my own orientation. The first part turned out to be moot, as I couldn't see banned members' profiles even with an account, but I was able to get some insight about my questions. I wasn't very active for the first few months, until I decided to check out the Arcade. I certainly never expected this site to take over my life in the way it has.

2 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

I think some people just don't get in regular habits of doing much online. They might sign up one day when they're bored and spend a little time here (whether posting or just reading) and don't have the time for it afterwards, at least not until they forget that this place exists. I've set up accounts on many sites that I haven't visited more than a few times.

Me too. There's only about two or three forums I am active on. The rest I might pop into once in a while at most.

5 minutes ago, Pramana said:

I must admit that I also have a morbid fascination with forum drama.

No, really? :rolleyes:

On 11/7/2017 at 5:24 PM, Snao Cone said:

As of me typing this, the member count at the bottom of the forum main page is 99,279. That means we're 721 away from 100,000! Which is a significant number in this base-10 system that we call life.

The poll above is for when we're going to reach that number. However, I'd also like to have some discussion below about how we should celebrate as a community. Any ideas?

Everyone knows life is a base 12 system, it's just silly humans that use a base 10.

Make a confetti emote! 

EnchantedSpiffyGoldenmantledgroundsquirr

500 more to go! It's increased by 221 members in about 162 hours which is 1.36 members per hour. This means we have 367.64 hours, or 15 days 7 hours 39 minutes, which means we should be reaching it on November 29th now!

27 minutes ago, Antihero. said:

Aren’t most of those members inactive though? :ph34r:

That's already been brought up in this thread, if you haven't read the rest.

4 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

That's already been brought up in this thread, if you haven't read the rest.

Nope, I haven’t read the rest.

drjohnhwatson

We do the opposite of what everyone is expecting--destroy the site.  We hit 100,000, and it immediately shuts down.

LETS DO IT!

I'm a chaotic neutral, if you can't tell.

:lol::lol:.

Hermit Advocate
8 hours ago, drjohnhwatson said:

We do the opposite of what everyone is expecting--destroy the site.  We hit 100,000, and it immediately shuts down.

LETS DO IT!

I'm a chaotic neutral, if you can't tell.

:lol::lol:.

And then what? Start over from scratch? Start the world biggest cake fight? 

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP!

Looks like those who guessed the mysterious disappearance were a bit too imaginative in their predictions. :P

We're 26 members away, and the rate of growth has been about 1.4 members per hour, so the chances are we're going to reach 100,000 in roughly 18-19 hours! Way to go for those who guessed between November 23rd to 30th, and shame on everyone who thought we wouldn't make it here before December. :P

58 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

We're 26 members away, and the rate of growth has been about 1.4 members per hour, so the chances are we're going to reach 100,000 in roughly 18-19 hours! Way to go for those who guessed between November 23rd to 30th, and shame on everyone who thought we wouldn't make it here before December. :P

Wake me up

when November

ennnnnndssss

Hermit Advocate

Are we there yet? I have a half eaten cake in the fridge. 

Archived