BoJack Horseman

Welsh Ace

I am guessing that there probably long been a topic on this but I have only recently started watching the excellent BoJack Horseman on Netflix after I found out that one of the main characters, Todd, is asexual. I wasn't sure I would like it when I first saw it but fell in love with it right away. The show is amazing, it is funny, dramatic and tragic. Very tragic. It is fantastic but I am getting off topic.

I've just seen the episode where he comes out to his friend, BoJack, and starts to accept his asexuality. I think the show handled the entire asexuality plot with Todd very well. They seemed to get the struggle with accepting asexuality, the feeling of being broken or the fear of others finding you "weird" really well. I think they handled the entire thing pitch perfectly. I love the re-action of BoJack and the fact that Todd attends an ace meet up (They use the term ace too!!!) which has inspired me to finally attend an ace meet up outside of pride parade. ( Just as soon as my broken leg is fully mended and I am back in London.)

Anyway, has anyone esle seen this eipisode of BoJack, and if so what did you think? Did finding out they had an asexual character inspire you to watch the show aswell? Or where you watching it before you knew they had an ace character?

Actually, I'm here because of that. I had a lot of misconceptions about asexuality before I saw that and was afraid to accept that part of myself. After Todd, I realized that I can accept this part of myself and not have to be alone forever, and now I'm here and I'm way happier now that I'm accepting my asexuality. So, personally I love Todd and thought they did an amazing job.

Oh, and I was watching it before Todd became ace. Still loved it then. It's an incredible show.

I am so glad that the show helpd you accept being asexual. I've sometimes struggled with it to be honest. I hopeful I have finally done so now. But theat is not so much to do with BpoJack. However it is awesome to seea character like us on a show. It is still so uncommon that I am totally amazed and excited by it, despite knowijg that it was coming up. It its fab that the show has helped you. I can totally understand the struggle, as I said, I have and sometime still do, suffer fro struggling with it myself. I guess most of us feel that way though.

Yeesss! Representation is important, and it felt affirming to watch the development of Todd's story line in the show. I will say that I have rarely encountered an ace person represented in media that iSN'T like Todd, unfortunately. They're always a white cis slacker dude. That being said, I love Bojack and it felt like a big moment when Todd's truth came out.

WinterWanderer

I also watched the show because of Todd coming out as ace. I'd had friends recommend it to me before, but it didn't look like something I'd watch. I don't really like adult cartoons. But I heard that their ace representation was done well, so I decided to try it. I actually ended up liking the show, and I loved the asexuality arc. It felt like a natural arc on the show, not something they sneaked in at the last minute.

10 hours ago, Fioryn said:

I also watched the show because of Todd coming out as ace. I'd had friends recommend it to me before, but it didn't look like something I'd watch. I don't really like adult cartoons. But I heard that their ace representation was done well, so I decided to try it. I actually ended up liking the show, and I loved the asexuality arc. It felt like a natural arc on the show, not something they sneaked in at the last minute.

I am the same with dult cartoons, but BoJack is actually funny and has surprising depth. The asexuality arc with Todd is brilliant and, as you said, it feels natural for the character and the show. It definitly not shoehorned in and the fact that it is not the defining characteristic of Todd it, I didnt expect to react this way over the represntation, I am still so excited and over the moon about it.

WinterWanderer
24 minutes ago, Welsh Ace said:

It definitly not shoehorned in and the fact that it is not the defining characteristic of Todd

Yes! This! ^

Lately, some shows seem to be adding LGBT+ characters just to check it off their to-do list. They're often cardboard characters with no real depth, besides their orientation. Makes me sad.

Lotta_Biscotti

I find that after you get through like the first 8 or so episodes of BoJack, it just exponentially gets better from there. It's actually quite a clever show, and this is the reason I watch it. It was nice to see Todd coming out. I hadn't really guessed that he was Ace prior-- I'm just so used to that absolutely not being a thing in TV. Like, if someone's not interested, it's because they're 'innocent' or whatever. Having Todd realize what the truth was, and then come to terms with it, was just really gratifying. And it was great, the way they handled his coming out, and how other people responded to that. It didn't feel like I was being beaten over the head with a message, just that something cool and nice happened in the story. But BoJack is a really great show that way, especially when it touches on its more positive notes.

Anyway, I was on here -before- BoJack, but I've just never been one for forum format (fffff XD), so of course I fell off again. I came back because I figured that other people who didn't know about asexuality might see Todd's coming out and decide to reach out, and that there might be ace meetups in the wake of it. Catch the wave if you can see it coming, right? So yeah. I'm here for all those newbies for whom things are starting to click, who might wanna talk or hang out sometime.

Archived