Should the "A" be in the LGBTQIA acronym? No right?

songchick

I don't get how they put Asexual as part of the queer spectrum.  I understand that it's non-hetero.  But the very defining characteristic of being gay (maybe not so much trans admittedly) is that sex is viewed differently, and is celebrated.  As far as sex goes, I want to hunt it down with a rifle and kill it wherever I see it.  Maybe I'm just in an angry mood but...I don't know.  Putting asexuality in with the acronym does nothing to educate people about what it is.  It's like having a token race in a group of people without having an understanding of anything other than the different skin color.  Sorry, Aces are more than tokens.

The Gnat (Natalie)

I think it fits because, as far as I'm concerned, everything under the queer umbrella is lumped together because it in some way defies a norm related to gender or sexuality/romanticism, and asexuality does that.

I wouldn't say we are "tokens" whatsoever.
We belong to the LGBTQIA because we are a different sexuality than "naturally wants to screw the opposite sex". We face the same problems and enemies, and many of the people that will tell you that homosexuality is a choice are the same people who will tell you that asexuality is fake.
Beyond that, a very good portion of the community would consider themselves either aro or bi romantic, as in, if I found someone I could magically tolerate- the "perfect" person- I wouldn't care what was in their pants.

I disagree, I think of LGBTQIA as a grouping not about sex, but about marginalized identity and being in a group to be allies for each other.

People are trans because they differ in gender identity, intersex people because they have both sets of plumbing. There's no celebration of sex in recognizing and validating who they are, just as there is no celebration of sex in recognizing and validating aromantic/agender/asexual people.

That's what the LGBTQIA acronym is about: recognition and validation. For homo/bisexual people that presents as a celebration of sex because it's how they differ from our generally heterosexual society.

I like to call the 'A' Asexual/Ally. In fact, the acronym is about acceptance and visibility.

Yes, all the sexualities in the acronym think about sex differently, but that's not the point here. The point is that we are not of the norm and that we all run into many problems along the way towards finding ourselves. This is not about how everyone views sex but about becoming united as one. 

Ok, cool for the clarification of this.  I want to be positive about it, and makes sense that the acronym does not only describe pro-sex attitudes.

Yeah, my understanding was that all the groups in the LGBT+ (sorry about the missing letters) were just different to hetrosexual/heteroromantic attraction, and therefore feel that asexuality and aromanic both fit in that group

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Seems to me that everything not cis-hetero, automatically comes under the LGBTQQIAAP umbrella, just by the fact it's not the 'norm' whatever that is!

Personally I do think we fight into the LGBTQ+ umbrella as we are a marginalised group which society has very little understanding towards and we do face similar issues to others in the LGBTQ+ community do face. I do understand some of the reservations about it from an asexual point of view though. LGBTQ+ spaces can become very sexualised and that can be alienating.

Just adding more and more letters to the acronym just makes me roll my eyes and think "Oh well another one to remember that no group dealing with this kind of stuff in my place acknowledges." and I'm asexual.

I thik its important that asexuals are included in the LGBT+ community, not only because we differ from the 'norm' or whats common but also because theres a lot of intersection. There's plenty of people that ID as ace but are also trans or nonbinary, or that are biromantic or panromantic or aromantic. I think its not that we're a token, having the A is acknowledging this entirely different side of sexuality, Asexuality. 

Plus prior to the A meaning asexual it was for allies which is ludicrous. The LGBT+ community is a collection of identities and you can't identify yourself as an ally thats something that other people call you. 

So my opinion is that its a good thing the A is included and that it stands for asexual.

Artistofnoname

No. I don't want to be involved with them and to maintain a huge distance from any such entities. They only expand the acronym as a way to expand the numbers and gain more power. Asexual's who most of the LGBT don't even like to begin with are only used as pawns.

At this point I might as well just say I have no orientation and call it non-sexual.

On 11/7/2017 at 8:27 AM, OldSoul said:

We belong to the LGBTQIA because we are a different sexuality than "naturally wants to screw the opposite sex". We face the same problems and enemies, and many of the people that will tell you that homosexuality is a choice are the same people who will tell you that asexuality is fake.

Unfortunately, such people do exist even in the LGBT community - I was upset once to read on a gay forum comments about how asexuality doesn't exist, or alternatively shouldn't be included in LBGT+, and how you can't separate love and sex, "they are separable in old movies only"... :( A place where you'd think people would be a little bit more understanding!

(No, I don't normally frequent gay forums, as I'm not of the orientation, it just came up once on google in connection with something to do with asexuality.)

I guess the sad truth is that everywhere you go, even places you'd think would be more accepting, there are going to be people who disregard and deny our existence.

A few things:

1. I find the phrase hunting down sex with a rifle both disturbing and somewhat hilarious

2. There is an argument to be made that everyone except homosexuals are token causes in certain spheres

3. I hope you will find a way to lose the angry mood, it is never fun to have

This question is almost as old as the Asexuality movement itself :lol: 

Personally, I don't really associat Asexuality with the LGBTQAIvariouslettershere, though from a visibility side of things I can understand why people would want that association. As far as I know, the community never really reached consensus on the matter, though there's probably a reasonable majority that would agree with its inclusion at this point.

Citing no source because this is all wild conjecture and baseless speculation. I'm well-versed in both. :P 

Archived