Midnight, Texas

knittinghistorian

knittinghistorian

First, has anyone seen this show?  (watch out, some spoilers)

I watched it, and enjoyed it.  However, it also annoyed me.  First, only a couple of minutes into the pilot, I spy a black ring on the main character's middle finger.  A bit later, and I see that he wears one on BOTH middle fingers.  I was cautiously excited!  But no.  Before you can say "sex", he had formed a "friends with benefits" relationship with another character.  Okay, I thought grumpily, maybe a sexual aromantic then.  Acceptable.  But no.  They inevitably fall in love.  I'm used to that in tv shows, of course, and I suppose an asexual main character was too much to hope for... but why did it have to fake me out!

Also, another main character is a witch.  In what is clearly meant to be a major, shocking revelation, she confesses (with palpable shame and embarrassment) that she is an unusually powerful witch, because she is also a virgin.  The horror!  Then she has to leave the room, and says it was the most embarrassing moment of her life.  Then, shortly thereafter, she is rescued from the main baddie by having sex.  Again, this was all but inevitable.  But again I felt kind of cheated!  The show missed such a good opportunity to show virginity in a positive, powerful light!  But no.  It's a source of shame and embarrassment, to be "remedied" with all haste.

None of these things are unusual occurrences in fiction.  I just felt like the show teased me, then dashed my hopes....

drjohnhwatson

Wait, she was rescued by having sex?  Like, to save her, whoever rescued he had sex with her?

Brought the old "fuck-or-die" trope to the small screen (sort of).  Wowsers.

It's unfortunate, but a lot of people really cling to the whole sexual thing for characters.  I mean, I've written some as well, but it would be refreshing to see asexual people in media.  And let them have relationships and stuff and not just be robotic, strange beings, yanno?

Ah well.

knittinghistorian
1 hour ago, drjohnhwatson said:

Wait, she was rescued by having sex?  Like, to save her, whoever rescued he had sex with her?

Brought the old "fuck-or-die" trope to the small screen (sort of).  Wowsers.

Yes, literally. A demon (the main baddie) wanted to make use of her power, and he was thwarted by her...not being a virgin any more.

drjohnhwatson
4 hours ago, knittinghistorian said:

Yes, literally. A demon (the main baddie) wanted to make use of her power, and he was thwarted by her...not being a virgin any more.

Oh, wow.  Definitely compelling story-telling on that front.  :rolleyes:.

Archived