Lowered Libido due to Prozac--Other ways to get it back?

spacedemi

I've been happily in a relationship for several months now, and we finally have been able to get protection and start having sex. One problem--I've started taking Prozac for my depression. One side effect is a lowered libido, which as a demisexual with a fluctuating libido has been rather difficult already. Even when I want to have sex, I can't seem to stay aroused or get close to orgasm. Are there any other ways to possibly balance this so I can stay turned on and finish?

It's more likely that you'd get help from your doctor than on AVEN, which is a site for asexuals who aren't interested in having sex.  Your doctor may know of antidepressants that don't have that effect.  

Actually, demisexual is both under the ace umbrella, and some asexuals are sex-positive or sex-neutral, and sex interests them, or they enjoy it for their partner. I have already spoken to my doctor, who said that most antidepressants have a similar effect, and was looking for some advice from other aspec people. But I'd be happy to move this post to the gray/sex discussion forum! Thanks.

Hey .. hi

Prozac's effects are worst during the first six weeks (the negative ones) it shouldn't be a permanent medication .. I was on it for about two and a half years. Unfortunately it dulls your mind, which is necessary for taking the edge off depression. Obviously it's gonna take the edge off arousal as well. Anything that counteracts this will counteract the prozac too. So there would be no point in taking it.

Everyone is different, but I didn't like being dulled by prozac (also you can get some very strange thoughts and ideas, AND act on them - I gave up a well paid job and moved the family to France to start a business while on prozac. When I look back there was no real rationale to why!) so I came off it asap and my change of circumstances had removed the causes of my depression, and given me a lot of new crap to worry about instead.

So, I'm no medical expert but I'd try and step down the use of prozac. Sometimes a short period of time helps get your head straight in terms of dealing with depression and you don't need that long.:D

Prozac is one of the more.. severe ones, so if your doctor could try a different one it might have a less severe effect on your libido (lower, but not kill it). Your mental health is the most important thing, but if a different one works for your depression and allows you a sexual life, it might be better for your health over all. :)

swirl_of_blue
2 hours ago, spacedemi said:

I've spoken to my doctor about other options, but unfortunately, most antidepressants have the side effects of a lowered libido.

Even if most antidepressants, or at least SSRIs often lower libido you could try different ones. I have used escitalopram on two occasions, and while it did lower my libido a bit (from my normal "very high" probably closer to what most people experience) it did not kill it outright. So you could at least ask your doctor about trying a different SSRI or even an antidepressant of a different class. I know people who have tried several different antidepressants before finally finding the one that suits them the best, even if in theory the side effects of those different drugs should be almost identical.

Archived