Coming Out

magscats79

Today I came out to my mom and she said I was anti-social instead which is not true because I’m an asocial introvert.  I don’t exibit hateful behavior towards others like anti-social people do.  I isolate myself from the drama that people create.  I have a hard time starting a conversation or keeping one going because I can’t express my emotions or feelings well.  Does that make me a bad person or a broken one?  Thank you.

Most people don't understand the difference between asocials and anti-socials. Anti-socials exhibit asocial behaviors to the extreme and antisocial personality disorder is far more common among. sociopaths and psychopaths. Asocials are people who can interact with people and society but chose not to, preferring to listen and observe. IT's disinterest. That doesn't mean that an asocial can't be emotional or care about things. They just prefer not to deal with society and social things. Antisocial people often are like that to the extreme and to the point of wanting to cause harm to others because of it. 

Just because you can't show or explain your emotions and feelings very well doesn't mean that you are broken or a bad person. It's just harder for you to connect ot your own. But you might, for example, be better at seeing other people's emotions and feelings. I personally am like that. 

This video may also help clear up some confusion. Maybe show it to your mom to explain? Psych2Go has a lot of videos that explain things like this, they also have explained introversin vs extroversion and different things bout each as well as mental illnesses, disorders and other things. 

Thank you.  I will consider doing that.

Archived