assigned?

binary suns

I dislike the "assigned" terminology

I wasn't assigned anything

nobody wronged me by seeing me as a boy. and "assigned" sure implies that it was a wronging.

I don't think of it like that. To me it just implies that the doctor looked at your genitals and checked a box. There you go. Assigned.

It doesn't imply wronging to me. That's just how things are done.

Assigned seems like a neutral word to me. It just means you didn't have a say in it, not that it was bad.

I suppose it should be up to each individual trans person to decide how they want to be referred to--if they want to be referred to as "assigned" or not.

Illegal Calculus

I don't think of it as a negative word, just a somewhat inaccurate word.  Doctors just record the biological sex of the infant for future medical purposes.  If anything, assigning would apply to teachers telling a kid they cannot do ______________ because their gender is not _______________, or therapists breaking the law and ignoring gender dysphoria.

butterflydreams

I prefer “observed” to assigned. Assigned seems definitive and predictive. Observed is just, “it is what it is.”

I feel like... every word for this will be bad. "Biologically" - yeah, but what about HRT, and different surgeries trans folk get, and ill people who get reproductive organ cancer, what about intersex folk, and in the end, the brain is an organ as well. "Genetically" - intersex people and actually who gets their genotype tested? "Assigned at birth" had to remove those problems, as far as I always understood it, but it looks like every wording will have its flaws.

I personally have to problem with assigned, genetically, biologically, etc. I understand why people say them. How else are we supposed to say "a male or female that has the body of a cis male or female, but may or may not be cis"? I guess we could just say "male" or "female" to refer to our bodies, but when most people see that they think you identify as that. I'm fine with these words as long as no one's calling each other offensive slurs or anything.

I don't mind the assigned term either, it's just something you use to pee or to make babies tbh.I'm FAB and i have never made a secret of that one *shrugs* i usually take these things with a grain of salt.

I don't mind it either and I can't quite understand why some people do (not trying to start an argument, I just personally don't get it). I don't like having to call myself or others "afab" or "amab" either but I figured better that than something like "biologically...". To me at least assigned sounds like something that someone gave you based on what they thought you would be or should be, but not something you would definitely turn out to be. Just what was most likely to be.

It's kind of like with names. I was given a female name by my parents because I was thought to be female based on what was most common for my sex, and I was socially and legally given a female gender for the same reason.

My go-to is "assumed" at birth. A person's experience with gender has far more to do with the assumptions of the self/others regarding gender than the words of a doctor right after the person is born.

butterflydreams
20 hours ago, Mezzo Forte said:

My go-to is "assumed" at birth. A person's experience with gender has far more to do with the assumptions of the self/others regarding gender than the words of a doctor right after the person is born.

I like assumed too. 

I don't think of it like that. To me it just implies that the doctor looked at your genitals and checked a box. There you go. Assigned.

It doesn't imply wronging to me. That's just how things are done.

This.  Don't look into it that closely.

On 4.11.2017 at 0:03 AM, Mezzo Forte said:

"Assumed" is actually better than "assigned" imo. Assign a gneder, lol. Like it was some sort of serious and responsible task :lol: assume a gender - hits home. 

I kind of wondered what it would be like if someone had androgen insensitivity and the doctor assumed they were female. Doctors don't check chromosomes normally, so I don't know if that would be a biological male afab?

11 hours ago, apatrickwsu said:

I kind of wondered what it would be like if someone had androgen insensitivity and the doctor assumed they were female. Doctors don't check chromosomes normally, so I don't know if that would be a biological male afab?

Seeing as male and female aren’t exclusively determined by chromosomes, I think the rigidity we’ve imposed on those terms as a society is bunk.

butterflydreams
2 hours ago, ChillaKilla said:

Seeing as male and female aren’t exclusively determined by chromosomes, I think the rigidity we’ve imposed on those terms as a society is bunk.

Especially with doctors, I find the question, “male or female?” merits a response of “In what context?”

Socially and legally and in almost all common situations, I’m female, and a woman, end of story. In medical situations, it depends. To best provide for patient care and health, I think they should specify in what context. Hormonally, I’m female. Chromosomally, I’m male (presumably, I don’t actually know). Physically, I’m a mix of male and female, but mostly female. And knowing the context and what you’re looking for will help me get the best care. 

@butterflydreams I like to tell those “your sex can never change” fools that if they asked my endocrinologist and my GP what my sex was, they’d get two different answers :P (they would! Hormonal sex is super important medically)

butterflydreams
17 minutes ago, ChillaKilla said:

@butterflydreams I like to tell those “your sex can never change” fools that if they asked my endocrinologist and my GP what my sex was, they’d get two different answers :P (they would! Hormonal sex is super important medically)

Hormones really control everything honestly. Chromosomes just instruct what structures to build initially. I get where “you can’t change your sex” are coming from, but I think they’re just misinformed on how transition works. 

Archived