Irish Independant on Asexuality (2015 article)

Tara_

Hey everyone! This isn't new so I understand if it's moved but maybe other people haven't read it as I found it by accident :P Francis Brennan is an Irish hotelier and TV personality in case people have not heard of him :) 

https://m.independent.ie/life/asexuality-i-realised-i-wasnt-into-girls-or-boys-34167467.html

Asexuality: 'I realised I wasn't into girls or boys'

When hotelier Francis Brennan said he was asexual, he thrust a marginalised community into the spotlight. We hear from the 'one per cent' who say sex isn't for them

But that wording is extremely misleading and makes Asexuality look like it also includes aromanticism or that it's about (sexually) desiring things that aren't human. While exposure for our orientation is great, inaccurate wording causes more harm than good. When people try to phrase things in a "cool" way it just causes trouble. It needs to be explicit and to a point. And despite the writer mentioning romanticism later, the person in question (at least from what they quoted) seems to not know of aromanticism; as they're Aro Ace from their testimony. Someone can also stop reading at any point, so it's important to clarify romanticism before even stating that this person never crushed on anyone in 6 the grade; it gives the impression they mean it never happened afterward either (which they actually do, but inaccurately). It's already a commonly assumed that asexuality includes aromanticism, so seeing inaccurate proof of it only furthers that.

Archived