Vasopressin: Anyone else aromantic and have POTS?

yoonede

So I was recently introduced to Helen Fisher's work on what she calls the "3 drives":  sexual, romantic, and attachment.  I'm not sure what I think of her work (some of her talk about gender differences has some red flags raised for me, and she also seems to skew heternormative). I'll link to one of her talks below.

But anyway, I was listening to a bit about brain chemistry in romantic attraction and had a sort of mind blown moment when she mentioned that vasopressin is one of the brain chemincals involved in romantic attraction.  I am aro, and I also happen to suspect I have vasopressin deficiencies in general.

I've been reading up on vasopressin for the past 2 years because I have a mild/moderate case of POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome), and I strongly suspect mine is caused by low blood volume.  I have low blood pressure and chronic dehydration and thirst, and vasopressin is the chemical implicated in all of that.  

I just find that fascinating!  Does anyone know if something as disconnected as aromanticism and POTS or blood pressure problems could be related???  Anyone other aros out there have health issues related to vasopressin?

Here's one of her talks:

I have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome and so my blood pressure is likely low. I may have POTS too, although that hasn't been diagnosed. I've had an out of body sensation since childhood because I never feel in my head.

I have to say it has crossed my mind whether my condition is why my gender identity and sexual identity is what it is but so far have no idea how to prove it. :blink:

Thanks for replying.  The mind/body connection stuff is just so complex.   I'm pretty sure I've always been aro/ace, whereas my POTS only started about 2 years ago, but it's just fascinating how all these hormones and neurotransmitters and chemicals in the body interact.  I'd love to get a doctor to help me explore some of this stuff (I also have addiction and mental health issues, so dopamine and serotonin, which also play a role in attraction, are likely part of the mix), but I've had such terrible experiences with doctors that I've given up on medicine for answers about anything.  

Not to imply that I think aromanticism or asexuality are medical issues...it's just that, like I said, we are complex beings!

I think it's normal to look for medical reasons for why we feel different. I had blood tests to check whether anything is abnormal. For me it was part of feeling ashamed and embarrassed that I wanted to express myself as a woman. I needed a reason for feeling that way other than it just being who I am. The asexual thing doesn't bother me so much but I have always been curious why I've never been interested in sex but want a close emotional/romantic relationship.

Maybe an endocrinologist can give you some answers. I'm not sure what tests they run but they deal with hormones. I've considered asking to be referred myself but I think my doctor thinks I just have a mental health problem so probably wouldn't refer me.

I'm on antidepressants and my sex drive is as dead as before really. I have been seeing a psychotherapist too though to work through things.

I hope you get the answers you are looking for! :)

swirl_of_blue
1 hour ago, Brave Zebra said:

I have Ehlers-Danlos syndrome and so my blood pressure is likely low. I may have POTS too, although that hasn't been diagnosed. I've had an out of body sensation since childhood because I never feel in my head.

I have to say it has crossed my mind whether my condition is why my gender identity and sexual identity is what it is but so far have no idea how to prove it.

Ehlers-Danlos just affects your collagen, so I would say there's no way it affects anything other than your musculoskeletal system. The mechanism via which it impacts the heart is completely separate from the way hormones that control the fluid balance of the body (for example vasopressin) work.

I often randomly feel faint/dizzy and sometimes black out... the doctor says it's blood pressure induced.

Though I've never been diagnosed with any official condition.

Recently I've been fainting less and drinking more water. I've still never had romantic feelings for anyone.

• 1 year later...
On 10/29/2017 at 11:12 AM, Little Bear said:

I have to say it has crossed my mind whether my condition is why my gender identity and sexual identity is what it is but so far have no idea how to prove it. :blink:

You might be on to something.  I have the same conditions.  I've been trying to figure it out myself.  I have hormone problems (which is common in EDS) which contribute to low blood pressure.  The one time I felt truly sexual and romantic was when I was taking hormones.  Not sure if that was coincidence, though.  I also find that men generally aren't attracted to me.  The only kind that are drawn to me are predatorial types who aren't attracted to me in a romantic sense and don't even find me attractive but want to take advantage of me.

Archived