Calling UK AVENites - and anyone else interested in helping

michaeld

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I'm an organiser (not that you'd notice from my activity here) and have lots of experience in school talks/teaching when I was a school nurse /teacher , so I can offer these :D

It's been a while - thanks all for your patience - but I'm very keen to get this going now. I'll be sending you all a doodle poll for our first meeting.

Also another thing has come up: I have an urgent request to write an article about sex ed in the UK and how it should include asexuality. If you have any ideas on this I'd love to hear them - or if you'd like to see a draft before it goes out, we can discuss over skype. Contact me by PM if you're interested in hearing more details.

I think I've now contacted everyone who was interested in helping out with this, both giving a skype invitation and a link to the doodle poll for the first meeting. Please let me know if I missed you! Also it's not too late to volunteer - the more the merrier - so feel free to post here or PM me.

I'm still really busy with work, but we must get this going - so I've set aside time over the next few weekends. By default the meeting will take place on skype over one of the next few weekends (I tend to be too tired weekdays after work to get anything useful done) but I'm flexible on both those things, if some other time and/or venue would be better for most people.

Tentative agenda for first meeting:

• Sex ed in the UK - where we are and what our aims should be. [This was *not* something I planned to work on immediately, but it's topical as the UK sex ed is undergoing a revamp at the moment, and hopefully there should be an article appearing in the i soon about the inclusion of asexuality.]
  • Preparing for AAW, preparing speakers and presentations around the country; nameinagame has already made a great start at putting together university contacts so with their permission we'll share and add to this in the meeting
  • Producing and making resources - graphics designers and writers needed!
  • My update on the conference planned for 8 July (day after Pride London).
  • Brainstorming session. What did I miss? What else do you all want to see in UK activism that's missing.

Thanks everyone who has replied to the poll. The meeting will be most likely in 2 weekends from now - either the 17th or the 18th of March. Perhaps both given some cannot make one. But I'll post more details later.

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm that the meeting will be this weekend, 18 march at 1800-2000. My apologies for those of you who can't make it - I'll reach out to you separately to get your input. Feel free to PM me for me skype if you'd like to join in, even if you didn't fill in the doodle poll.

SithAzathoth WinterDragon

I'm interested in helping, I am not in the UK but I can do online logos if needed, and you can message me here or Skype me. I also have kik if there is a group.

anjanandromeda

Hey, 

I would like to know if this is still open. I am currently based in India and would love to be of help in anyway. Do let me know who to reach out to about this. 

NervousGirl

Is this still open? I’d be interested, I’m UK based and experienced with awareness campaigns and media interviews (although I mostly do mental health), I’m also a writer and designer (I study web development at university), I’d like to contribute if I can.

Hi ShieldMaiden, anjanandromeda and Nervous Girl,

Thanks for volunteering! I'll get you added. Come along to the meeting tomorrow if you can.

I've set up the group for the meeting this evening. I've tried to add everyone who is interested in helping but it wouldn't surprise me if I have forgotten someone. If so, my apologies - it's my oversight, not because you aren't welcome.

If you haven't received any skype messages yet, and were expecting to be in the group, please do either write here or send me a PM and I'll get you added.

Archived