Semisexuality

I'm still trying to find something that adequately describes myself.

I have a "normal" sex drive, or possibly even greater at times.

I think about sex in favourable terms (i.e. not repulsed) unless excessive details are involved.

I love doing anything up to but not including having sex. My definition of non-sexual activity would include a lot of things that people here would call sexual, but I think it's about intent and purpose rather than action.

But I feel disconnected and distracted during sex, and don't enjoy it from either a physical or psychological angle.

So I realise that I'm probably not asexual by the true definition, but I'm in another category of person who doesn't have sex and not by choice. I find my desire to have sex (beyond mere fantasy) is next to nil, although I crave intimacy.

How on earth would one go about defining that? :P

andysexual

boa

LOL!!

Right on, boa.

I suppose that makes me Victoriasexual. Pronounced Victory-asexual.

Cate

I suppose that makes me Victoriasexual. Pronounced Victory-asexual.

Victory asexual. *pictures Cate as a winged Nike* Cooooool.

LOL!!

I AM THE GODDESS OF ASEXUALITY HERE TO SAVE THOSE WHO FEEL THEY MUST HAVE SEX TO APPEASE THEIR PARTNERS AND TO AVENGE THOSE MADE TO FEEL INFERIOR BY SEXUALS.

*flies away*

Cate

• 2 weeks later...

Only trouble with andysexual is that I sort of agree with orderinchaos's theory as it applies to me (in most ways, anyhow). And "andydavesexual" implies people who have romantic relationships only with men named andy or dave, which isn't the meaning I was after. (Although it does remind me of when I WAS trying to be sexual, and all my partners except one had names starting with J-- jsexual?)

So what word would I suggest? Perhaps "imaginosexual," meaning sex is better in the imagination than in reality, or "theoretisexual," meaning, better in theory than in practice. (As for the part about doing affectionate things up to but not including sex, I just call that "cuddly.")

dave

*immediately adds 'imaginosexual' to vocabulary*

:D Thanks, Dave.

Cate

• 2 months later...

It is useful to have these words of orientation- HGLBTIQA- because it helps to legitimize the notion that not everyone is heterosexual.

Beyond that, I feel that labels are somewhat limited. Gays may sometimes have heterosexual desires, heterosexuals may happen to have a homosexual feeling sometime. Orientation has been used to describe what one feels predominently. But if it puts anyone in a box- asserts, for instance, that asexuals may never have sexual feelings, or that gays are always gay- then it becomes problematic.

I think we could dispense with the semisexual label if people learned to accept that here are variations in the continuum, such that people can fall somewhere between A and GLB as much as people may fall somewhere between H(etero) and GL.

Julie

• 2 months later...

The way I see it, Black Onyx, sex is whatever you believe and feel it to be (I personally do not ascribe to the phallocentric and heterosexist model of penis-in-vagina=sex). And as for asexuals, they are all different, and would likely have different comfort levels and different attitudes towards any given act (be it a solitary act or an act with a partner). There is no single way to be asexual... basically, you can identify yourself that way if you feel it works for you. Does that answer your question? I assume you weren't just trying to be sensationalistic? :wink: