BBC coverage of AAW

michaeld

Happy Asexual Awareness Week (22-28 oct 2017) everyone!

AAW usually generates a fair amount of media coverage. We kick off today with a BBC article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-41569900

It has a number of interesting perspectives from readers, following up an earlier article. (It also quotes me: not my most eloquent quote ever I'm afraid - it was transcribed from a phone convo with the author - but never mind.) It also links AVEN, MyUmbrella (highly recommended btw) and AAW (which should need no intro).

Furthermore, there is a discussion of asexuality later on today on BBC Radio Five Live! It is a panel discussion involving a number of people who identify as asexual, between 6:30-7pm UK time. And it features.... yep, you guessed it: Sea-lemon once more, following their recent appearance on BBC Radio Scotland.

(Note: while I did the initial coordination for the five live piece, corresponding with the editor and connecting people, I don't know the final details of the programme, so if they differ from the above hopefully @sea-lemon will correct me before the programme goes out tonight!)

Hey, I know you said that my umbrella and AAW needed no introduction but I am new to all of this. When I googled myumbrella I got Rihanna's song and AAW gave me all sorts of result until I added asexual to the end of the search. Thanks for sharing though.

They're both linked at the bottom of the BBC article! As well as AVEN.

Well it's really AAW that needs no intro - Asexual Awareness Week is quite well known now. But in any case it's just what it sounds like: it's a week devoted to spreading awareness of asexuality, internationally. Many campuses hold talks in AAW, there is usually media coverage, and the Ace Census team releases the annual survey (check announcements).

MyUmbrella is less well known so probably does need an intro: it is an organisation based in the West of England (Reading area) devoted to the less well known parts of the LGBTQ+ spectrum, which often get less coverage. Some of its principal people are members of AVEN as well.

Welcome, btw!

Quite a few of us in the UK Asexuality FB group are just complaining about this.

The article is located under the 'Mental Health' section of the website, which is very detrimental to Awareness week as a whole. As one Facebook member pointed out, this is no different to 'when society classed Homosexuality as an illness'.

Not to mention the click bait link title, which is irrelevant to the article. 'I was glad when my husband had affairs'. 

Yet the title of the article is 'Feeling isolated as Asexual in a sexualised society'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/814465c5-404b-4c88-889f-45907ba1f402/mental-health

I'll be writing my complaint shortly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/

As I said in the other thread, I don't think it's part of the Mental Health section. I think it's just linked from there. I think it's under BBC Magazine. That's how it was presented to us, when they were recruiting. I can see how it might look otherwise though...

They quoted me in full as saying asexuality is not a pathology but part of the normal human spectrum of sexuality... so hopefully that'll prevent some people getting the wrong idea.

Jewelsandcrowns
1 hour ago, michaeld said:

As I said in the other thread, I don't think it's part of the Mental Health section. I think it's just linked from there. I think it's under BBC Magazine. That's how it was presented to us, when they were recruiting. I can see how it might look otherwise though...

They quoted me in full as saying asexuality is not a pathology but part of the normal human spectrum of sexuality... so hopefully that'll prevent some people getting the wrong idea.

Great stuff, and I came across it, I'm just really pleased that we got such publicity, I'm not complaining!!!

Thanks Michael 8)

Archived