Am I asexual?

Hi everyone, 

So, I've been wondering lately if I'm asexual and am hoping some of you can give me your honest opinion. I'm a 21 year old female and I've never been in a real relationship. When I've dated people, it's not because I've wanted them or liked them, it's simply because I felt the pressure to be seen with a boyfriend, so people would think I was normal. Sad, I know, but true.

I don't really like sex. Putting something into my body like that feels a bit unnatural, not to mention it hurts because I'm uncomfortable and therefore tight. I've thought that maybe I just don't like it because I'm self conscious of my body and not used to it, but now I'm wondering if it might be something more. I've always loved the idea of kissing and watching couples on screen make out and get together. Romantic films have been something I've loved since I was a child. Even now, I like watching Hollywood couples because it makes me so happy to see people together and in love, who are also sexually attracted to one another. It's almost an obsessive thing--watching couples like Lili Reinhart and Cole Sprouse, or Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield.

When it comes to myself, I don't really see that happening with anyone. I want to get married and fall in love, but I don't really love kissing or anything more than that, though I do think about it when I masterbate sometimes about men. I love cuddling and playful hugs, especially with my close friends who are girls. (I've considered maybe I'm bisexual, but at the end of the day I'm not really sexually attracted to women, I'm more attracted to the IDEA of being close to someone.)

Does anyone else understand this?

Do you think I'm just insecure?

What do you think I am?

Hello and welcome to the AVEN forums, EJfromNJ. Have some cake :cake: :-)

If you've read some other threads, you probably know already that we can't tell you what you are. It's up to you to decide which labels fit. What you share about yourself is in line with stories I've read from romantic asexuals, aka as "ace of hearts". Maybe you want to look into those labels. Personally, I found it very useful to distinguish the different types of attraction:

http://wiki.asexuality.org/Attraction

https://secondlina.deviantart.com/art/Sketchcomic-types-of-Attraction-298804729

There certainly are many people here on AVEN that not only understand this, but feel like you do.

Enjoy your stay! And have another cake... :cake: