getting into the dating game waaay late

gisiebob

well, I'm almost in my thirties, as if that is some sort of decade, and I've never been in a relationship. got close once and didn't even want to think about this stuff for a long time because of that. but now all my scars are healed up fond memories and I like the idea of being part of a team, having a dedicated person to support me and who I can support.

but I don't really know how to proceed with that whole dating thing that stands between me and that compainionship life I would like to at least try out. so far I've just been trying the online fair, with very limited success (two coffee shop meet ups over two years)

honestly I have a lot not going for me in stupid little areas, like, well I can count on one hand the major limitations: you don't drink, you're not willing to deal with pot, you refuse to sell yourself, and what nonadvertiments you do make of yourself you refuse to use over and over again. oh and that obvious one about not caring about the whole sexytimes thing. there, that's how you leave 90% of people scratching their head thinking I'm mentally challenged or something.

but aside from all that nonsense, does anybody else find themselves in the same boat of having missed the boat on dating?

Yes! But for me, I don't really try at all. I like the idea of finding a partner. But I don't put myself out there. I find people annoy me easy and I like my own space. I don't like the whole idea of trying to have to sell yourself to someone. I would rather have a friendship, become something more. I haven't tried online either.  So unless someone trips at my feet and I actually notice that they like me. I see myself never dating.  I am also in my late 30's.

Definitely! Online dating started to feel like the online option after my undergrad, and I really struggle with online dating because I feel like so many people's profiles are quite similar. And I feel like you have to 'relax' your requirements a lot to start getting more than 1 or 2 matches a week, but maybe that's just my area and being ace. I'd like to meet someone but it does feel like I might have missed the boat sometimes.

had not, thanks! I think though, that in providing a level of detail myself I've sneakily asked for more substance than "Yeah, I haven't either" and you guys have been great!

I dated a little in early college.  By time I finished grad school decided I'm happy the way I am.  However I am active in a few different social groups.  What do you enjoy doing? Find groups that do that, and you might be surprised who you meet, and more than just a romantic interest.

Strange But Not a Stranger

I'm in my late 30s and I never dated.

I went out with a guy once when I was 24 or so... I didn't even see it as a date! I thought it was meant to be completely platonic. After a while it became clear to me that he had different ideas about how to spend the afternoon than I had. :huh:

The one relationship I had when I was 35 just sort of happened. There wasn't a whole dating process involved.

Dating is not for me anyway. I don't feel the need for a relationship. If it ever happens, fine. If it doesn't, fine too. :)

Archived