A doctor knew what aromantism was??

quietcrayon

Just remembered this now and don’t know why I didn’t mention it before.

A while ago I was depressed (still am though) and suicidal and after attempting to kill myself ended up in the hospital. I of course talked to many doctors and you know, they all need to know why I’m like this, why am so depressed, enough to want die? Sexuality was always brought up by doctors ‘so um uh which way do you swing?’ ‘Boys or girls, both?’ (I’m pretty sure they shouldn’t be asking those questions, but considering I was a teen, it could easily be a cause of stress - and it was). When responding with ‘um neither?’  or ‘I don’t like anybody’ I got told ‘well you do feel that way when you’re depressed’ or ‘you’ll figure it out’, which made me feel really messed up, and invalid. However there was one doctor who asked me about my orientation, I said I didn’t really think I liked anyone, he asked me elaborate, I explained my experience of not having crushes and stuff like everyone else (without ever mentioning the terms asexual or aromantic) and his response was ‘so you’ve lived a fairly aromantic life’. My face just lit up and I nodded. Never had I heard someone else say the word and it seemed like he understood it perfectly. I don’t really know/remember if he used it more or less as an adjective, but it seemed like he meant it as an orientation.

Sorry, just felt the need to share this story, because at the time it made me feel really validated.

That's what happens when good doctors actually listen to you ;) :cake:

Archived